Planning to move back to Aus. Am I missing anything?

Max Sumner

Hello, PIO, long time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm a 26yr old British-citizen, University-graduate, recently returned from a year on a Working Holiday Visa in QLD and NSW.

I've recently learned that my desired career path (counselling and psychotherapy) is on the Skilled Occupations List, and I would love to pursue this in Aus. My intention is to complete a 2yr Postgrad Counselling and Psychotherapy course to become qualified and then return on a Skilled Migration Visa.

I'm posting here just to sound out the community about what kind of things I should be aware of: potential pitfalls or costs that I might not know about, or just general tips. I'm confident that my qualifications will be recognised (MA English Lit from University of Aberdeen and about to start a PGDip in Counselling and Psychotherapy at Salford University), is that confidence well placed?

I've read a fair bit online about what makes a desirable candidate for a Skilled Migration Visa, and given my age, education, strong understanding of spoken/written English and my previous experience living in Aus, this make me almost the ideal candidate. Am I missing anything? Is the points system as favourable as it seems? I just don't want to get too ahead of myself if I've missed any major obstacles.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. What on earth is this supposed to be?? :Randy-git:

There's a few things I would suggest for anyone interested in an Independent Skilled Visa:

1. Check the Skilled Occupation Lists for the exact occupation you wish to pursue

2. If on the CSOL, check the availability of state sponsors

3. Check out the assessing authority for the occupation you intend to nominate. Make sure you know exactly what is required by them.

4. Make sure you're aware of how the points test works and check if you meet the benchmark total

in your case for example if you're going to go down the 'psychotherapy' pathway I know you're going to need at least 1 year post-qualification experience in that field on top of a highly relevant qualification assessed as equivalent to an Australian Bachelor or higher degree. Each occupation/assessing authority/state has these little stipulations here or there that need to be looked out for.

The most important pitfall is that the system is constantly changing and in 3 years time I guarantee it will be very different to how it is today. By all means plan ahead but be prepared for change.

Did you consider completing your qualification in Australia?

P.S. What on earth is this supposed to be?? :Randy-git:

I'm not sure, but whatever is happening the one in front has a look of complete disappointment!

Much appreciated, Adam! I think the skill is listed as SOL, rather than CSOL, does this make a significant difference?

Finishing my studies in Aus is something that has been suggested, but isn't this usually a significantly more expensive way of doing things? If not I'm very interested. The sooner I can move back, the better!

It's no problem.

Yeah if you're looking specifically at 'Psychotherapist' it is on the SOL, that part of my comment was more for the benefit of everyone. The 1 year post qualification experience requirement I mentioned still applies as it's an assessing authority requirement.

The fees for international students can be expensive (I've no idea of UK student fees so can't compare), but you get to be in Australia, you can work (no more than 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session), you'll get an Australian qualification at the end and depending on your course you'll likely be eligible for a temporary graduate visa post-qualification which can give you time in Australia to complete that post-qualification work experience you'll need for the skills assessment. Worth a bit of consideration.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Really? Counselling/psychotherapy is on the list? I'm surprised. Counselling is very much the poor relation to Psychology and there are plenty of psychologists (with rigorous registration requirements) to go round so they are in demand for government type positions and private practice with Medicare coverage (Social Workers ditto!). AFAIK there is still no required national registration for counsellors and anyone having done the Bob Jones weekend can call themselves a counsellor if someone is prepared to pay. Who knows when Immigration will catch up with the job market!

Yeah it's pretty common. People get the visa, go over there and may not have any immediate positions in that occupation so they take whatever is available. As much as it defeats the point of skilled migration, the 189 visa has no conditions and the DIBP would never try and impose anything like that.

I see.

Finishing my studies in Aus is an attractive prospect, but there's nothing I can see on CRICOS that deals with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which is what I want to focus on. The closest would be Occupational Therapy, which says it costs $68,000 over two years, compared to the £9,750 I would pay here. Just doesn't seem to add up!

If you want to be competitive with CBT you will need to be a registerable psychologist - honestly, counselling is very much the poor relation. Perhaps take a bit longer and get your qualifications in psychology, however, that's a very popular uni subject in Aus and psychs are thick on the ground once they can wrestle with the vagaries of AHPRA. It'd be cheaper to do whatever further study you may do in UK.

I just want to echo what quoll has said. There is certainly no shortage of recent graduates here in aus when it comes to psychology. People wanting to do counselling here tend to do a psych degree and then a masters in counselling.

Archived