Qld Health and shifts

fossda

Hi

Ive recently been successful in getting a nursing job with Queensland Health.

I'm a band 6 nurse in the UK currently in quite a small speciality. The new job I have is a new area of nursing for me. It is a band 5 RN job - I want to know if they will recognise the (many) years of nursing experience I have in the UK and put me on the top increment of a band 5 wage or will I be totally at the bottom of the band 5 scale like a NQ nurse. I will be able to get a statement from HR here to verify my years. Just wondered what other UK nurses found when moving over.

Also, having not worked shifts for many a year now, I am going back to shift work in this new job - on average does a normal shift pattern (nights, lates, weekends etc ) make a real difference to your basic wage.

its just that I will be the only one working to start so just making sure we can survive :wacko:

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Hi

Ive recently been successful in getting a nursing job with Queensland Health.

I'm a band 6 nurse in the UK currently in quite a small speciality. The new job I have is a new area of nursing for me. It is a band 5 RN job - I want to know if they will recognise the (many) years of nursing experience I have in the UK and put me on the top increment of a band 5 wage or will I be totally at the bottom of the band 5 scale like a NQ nurse. I will be able to get a statement from HR here to verify my years. Just wondered what other UK nurses found when moving over.

Also, having not worked shifts for many a year now, I am going back to shift work in this new job - on average does a normal shift pattern (nights, lates, weekends etc ) make a real difference to your basic wage.

its just that I will be the only one working to start so just making sure we can survive :wacko:

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Sorry I can't help with your questions but huge congrats on securing a job :rolleyes:

You get paid for years post qualified, ie you take a job and if you are 8 years post qualified you go top of the grade..I was an8A in uk and a cne here I wouldn't do shifts again .. Just about to take a cnc job in community so better pay again. I think pay awards are good with shift work.im in nsw so not too sure about other states. Good luck!

Hi QLD recognised my prior experience so although im just a band 5 on the ward they put me on top RN which is just over $40 an hour shift allowance is reasonable too. Although i havent done it yet check out salary sacruficing as this ncreases your tax free allowance. My shifts are 7-3.30, 1-9.30, 9-7.30. Thats on a ward. Ive just a had a couple of interviews for community CN posts so fingers crossed as i hate shift work it was just a wAy to get my foot in the door!

PS bring evidence of prior experience

Just saw your other post! Yep ahpra the nightmare! When did u actually get it approved?

Hi Kelly

my AHPRA nightmare was sometime ago - 2011. It was when they first changed the system. OMG the hassle and the tears over the 6 months it took were soul destroying !! I can remember it well. They kept wanting more and more info al the time. It was incredibly frustrating. I have kept in touch with the current thread about AHPRA and I really empathise with all of you. I know exactly how it feels. ( if you look through my old threads you'll see I was practically cracking up !!)

I eventually got my eligibility letter, went to Australia for my validation trip, didn't have a job so joined an agency, used my friends address and eventually got my full reg. My email from AHPRA to say my reg was complete was when I was sitting in an expensive restaurant, large glass of wine overlooking the sea on the Qld coast - man I celebrated lol - and I'm sure you will soon.

Good luck xx

You get paid for years post qualified, ie you take a job and if you are 8 years post qualified you go top of the grade..I was an8A in uk and a cne here I wouldn't do shifts again .. Just about to take a cnc job in community so better pay again. I think pay awards are good with shift work.im in nsw so not too sure about other states. Good luck!

Thank you - that's good to hear. I hope they recognise my many years !

My wife is a midwife for qld health and was a band 6 for a few years in the UK. After looking at her experience etc they put her on band 5.3...not sure if that helps.

Oh that's not good. I've been a band 6 for 13 years so hoping they do recognise it - oh well just have to wait and see. Probably have to cut back the wine intake to help the pennies:chatterbox:

Hi QLD recognised my prior experience so although im just a band 5 on the ward they put me on top RN which is just over $40 an hour shift allowance is reasonable too. Although i havent done it yet check out salary sacruficing as this ncreases your tax free allowance. My shifts are 7-3.30, 1-9.30, 9-7.30. Thats on a ward. Ive just a had a couple of interviews for community CN posts so fingers crossed as i hate shift work it was just a wAy to get my foot in the door!

PS bring evidence of prior experience

Thanks that is encouraging. Good luck for the community job. I haven't done shift work since 1998 ha ha. Looking forward to the challenge !! (She says). Yes they've said you can SS up to 50% of salary. I need to understand all that a bit more.

Where on the GC are you ?

rachel

Thanks that is encouraging. Good luck for the community job. I haven't done shift work since 1998 ha ha. Looking forward to the challenge !! (She says). Yes they've said you can SS up to 50% of salary. I need to understand all that a bit more.

Where on the GC are you ?

rachel

Im in Helensvale, loving the Gold Coast! Have you decided where you will be living yet? Whats the job you have with QLD health?

my wife has just said that band 6 here is the equivalent to band 7 at home, so management.

Shes just gone from casual ($42.10 per hour) to permanent ($34.22 per hour) that $8 per hour over 30 hours with enhancements too really makes a difference each week, weve worked out we will be about $300 per week worse off for the same job and same hours. She was backed into a corner really though as they are slowly phasing out casuals. I think its scaremongering though as they will never manage without casuals.

my wife has just said that band 6 here is the equivalent to band 7 at home, so management.

Shes just gone from casual ($42.10 per hour) to permanent ($34.22 per hour) that $8 per hour over 30 hours with enhancements too really makes a difference each week, weve worked out we will be about $300 per week worse off for the same job and same hours. She was backed into a corner really though as they are slowly phasing out casuals. I think its scaremongering though as they will never manage without casuals.

hi can she not appeal? They recognised my previous experience and put on top band 5. Ive been qualified for 20 yr and was a band 7 for about 10, not sure if that made a difference. The casual rate is certainly appealing but at least she will accumulate hol and sick pay by being permanent