This isn't about me but just wondered what the outcome would be

jack13

This is about a friend, not me personally, someone I know.

They met someone on a whv and then married them around 8 months into the visa, they have lived in Australia now for 4 years. They, the couple are no longer together, they are not divorced but broke up a year ago. However were living together as a married couple for two years. Will this person still get residency when they apply or not? What will happen? Purely out of curiosities sake?

This is about a friend, not me personally, someone I know.

They met someone on a whv and then married them around 8 months into the visa, they have lived in Australia now for 4 years. They, the couple are no longer together, they are not divorced but broke up a year ago. However were living together as a married couple for two years. Will this person still get residency when they apply or not? What will happen? Purely out of curiosities sake?

Well what visa were they on while they were married?

They must have been on some type of visa already. If they were living together as a married couple for two years they probably already have pr.

If they haven't and are applying for it, they will get turned down. It doesn't matter that they are still living in the same house.

You would need to know if they applied for a spouse visa or some other type of visa. The most likely scenario is they married and then applied for a spouse visa (before the WHV was up). That would mean that two years after *applying* for the spouse visa, they were eligible for PR, and would have gotten it no more than a few months thereafter. So... highly likely they already have PR. Once PR is obtained (assuming no fraud when it was applied for and the couple was still together), it doesn't matter if the relationship ends - PR is still valid.

Archived