Teacher registration - help!

Guest james huddersfield

Guest james huddersfield

My partner needs to apply for teacher registration in the state we want to move to ( not fully decided where yet!) Having to register to teach in the relevant states seems very confusing and it looks like you can only get limited registration, even if you are a fully qualified UK teacher?? Is this true and will it prevent being able to get specific jobs?

Where do we start?

Any advice please!

Don't bank on her getting a job at all! Each state will have its own registration pack so you basically just fill it in. Some states are pretty much a closed shop and will basically require you to do service in some hard to fill position for a few years before they will even give you a look at a half decent location. Just because someone is qualified in a foreign country doesn't mean they will be qualified in Aus where 4 yrs university training is required.

Guest james huddersfield

What do you base your view on? Have you worked in Australia as a teacher? She has 4 years University training which has been positively assessed by AITSL. Just wondered how exactly to get started with state registation.

Queensland registration is pretty much the same paperwork as AITSL and take about 12 weeks to complete. You receive Provisional registration for this. After securing a job then you can work towards your full registration. Other states require you to complete certain courses in order to register therefore making it more difficult to register prior to your arrival.

What do you base your view on? Have you worked in Australia as a teacher? She has 4 years University training which has been positively assessed by AITSL. Just wondered how exactly to get started with state registation.

In education, yes, for over 25 years. Pick your state and fill in the forms! But several states require you to do rural/remote placements before they will consider you for permanent placements. There are lots of unemployed Aussie homegrown teachers unfortunately. It was just the "she's a qualified UK teacher so why all the hassle" attitude that came across even if it wasn't intended that way. All Aussie teachers have to go through the same process when they change states.

In the Victoria State system most teachers are on contract so its a year to year thing. When looking for jobs in this State need to take this into account as one might think, gosh there are a lot of jobs on the site, but when it comes down to it, most are contract with sitting contract people who will be employed, however the jobs have to be advertised.

I guess your oh is high school as I think primary are now off the list. Maths science and male is a shoe in but also becoming hard.

Hi James from Huddersfield...I'm from Huddersfield too!

I'm teaching in NSW and registration was a bit of a pain to be honest, but not impossible. The worst bit was having to do an interview with the department of education but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I'm living in Bondi where teaching work is near impossible to find. I've been lucky to work as a casual teacher in a special school for a year. I'm now looking for temporary contracts but I'm not having any luck.

It's also worth noting that in nsw, you are not allowed to get a permanent teaching position unless you are a permanent resident.

Hi my girlfriend went thought it all to get registered in Victoria last year and it was quiet straight forward, filled out some forms. She got full registration right away, had to get her head master to fill out a form saying how she meet the australian standards I think from memory... from what i have read on here I would not go to NSW, as they are far more strict in what they will allow you to teach.

Archived