Andrew Wilkie will Blcok supply

Tina2

As much as I detest Captain Catholic and admire Andrew Wilke....blocking of supply is a big no no. You poms would not have been here the last time supply was blocked by an Opposition...1975....it led to the dismissal of a democratically elected Whitlam government by that drunken prick Sir John Kerr. We DO NOT need to go down that path again and I am sure the labor party will not support any call for supply to be blocked.

As much as I detest Captain Catholic and admire Andrew Wilke....blocking of supply is a big no no. You poms would not have been here the last time supply was blocked by an Opposition...1975....it led to the dismissal of a democratically elected Whitlam government by that drunken prick Sir John Kerr. We DO NOT need to go down that path again and I am sure the labor party will not support any call for supply to be blocked.

Well if abbott is going to try to push this budget through he is up against Palmer, Labour, the greens, and now Andrew, so it may well come down to a new election.

Well if abbott is going to try to push this budget through he is up against Palmer, Labour, the greens, and now Andrew, so it may well come down to a new election.

Wishful thinking I fear.... the Greens and Labor have already come out against blocking supply, and no way would Abbott risk a new election - or more to the point, no way would Peta Credlin let him! Can someone please explain the difference to me between blocking the budget and blocking supply? Supply of what, exactly? And how does it work? Isn't it what the US tried to do a short while ago to Obama?

Wishful thinking I fear.... the Greens and Labor have already come out against blocking supply, and no way would Abbott risk a new election - or more to the point, no way would Peta Credlin let him! Can someone please explain the difference to me between blocking the budget and blocking supply? Supply of what, exactly? And how does it work? Isn't it what the US tried to do a short while ago to Obama?

Blocking supply i think basically means no funds will be released to pay anything ie Federal Police,Hospitals,schools, Public servants,welfare etc. So basically shuts the country down. Which as you said the Greens and Labor have already said they won't do. Blocking the budget would mean that the Government will have to go back and draw up another budget. However i can't see the Greens or Labor blocking the whole budget. They will most likely just block certain things. Ultimately i don't think there will be any new election or blocking of supply.

Well a government will be unable to function in time. Seeing that the present regime got in under false pretences, in that almost none of the present policy was put before the populace, I see no harm in forcing an election under the circumstances. Not the ideal way to proceed but the present shower are attempting to implement policies not voted for.

Let Abbott go for a double dissolution if he dares.

Well a government will be unable to function in time. Seeing that the present regime got in under false pretences, in that almost none of the present policy was put before the populace, I see no harm in forcing an election under the circumstances. Not the ideal way to proceed but the present shower are attempting to implement policies not voted for.

As I say, I doubt Peta will let it happen - she's a very smart cookie, that one, with a skill for subtle manipulation that people disregard at their peril, although she must be struggling with such a gaffe-prone ventriliquist's dummy to control these days!

Blocking supply is not in the best interest of the country it wasn't in 1975 and it isn't now. Personally i can't see it happening.

Blocking supply is not in the best interest of the country it wasn't in 1975 and it isn't now. Personally i can't see it happening.

I would agree it won't happen but the present regime is hardly in the interest of the population either. If all got through along with future plans for change this country will become so hard headed, The cost will be enormous in terms of the nation we have been living in.

watch for the dark horse Palmer, not sure about him but he will hold balance of power.

Palmer appears to not be willing to play ball with Abbott. He is certainly out of love with both WA and QLD premiers and is playing the populist. Begs the question if Abbott is deposed would he be more inclined to come on board? A dark horse at least got the tails up of the Lib's.

Palmer appears to not be willing to play ball with Abbott. He is certainly out of love with both WA and QLD premiers and is playing the populist. Begs the question if Abbott is deposed would he be more inclined to come on board? A dark horse at least got the tails up of the Lib's.

Palmer is giving his salary to charity so that at least makes me feel like he does have at least some compasion. He is a self made billionare, maybe he has some ideas worth considering to lower the debt without destroying the most vunerable people in Australia. Right now I think all ideas should be considered

Palmer is giving his salary to charity so that at least makes me feel like he does have at least some compasion. He is a self made billionare, maybe he has some ideas worth considering to lower the debt without destroying the most vunerable people in Australia. Right now I think all ideas should be considered

Like saving money by not upgrading the holding dams on his nickel processing plant. It is a pity that heavy metals are being washed out into the GBR on rainy days, but hey, it's not like he can control the weather so it's not really his fault.

As for blocking supply, Andrew Wilkie is in the lower house, where the Coalition has 90/150 seats. Who cares what he votes for. (BTW, notice how in his speech he mentions increased fuel prices for single mums, but doesn't mention the 2% levy for high-earners). In the upper house, the Greens would have to vote against the bill, meaning they are now against higher fuel charges and lower fuel consumption. That puts them in a bit of a clinch.

Personally, I think they should just pass the budget. Let's give the Coalition as much rope as they want. If it means they consign themselves to the political wastelands for decades to come, so be it. But history show they don't have a record of doing this.

Archived