"Living in Perth" book

benlast

Just got back from a reccie trip to Perth. My sister-in-law & her partner (with whom we stayed) had a copy of a book called "Living in Perth" by Kobie Hattingh. It comes out annually or biannually (and apparently has done for a few years now) and is subtitled "A reference guide for migrants and residents". We found it very useful for working out what suburbs were affordable and which were zoned for high-density occupation, and it's full of advice and information aimed at someone trying to find their feet in WA. It's available online from bookworm.com.au (hope the forum doesn't filter out the link here): Living in Perth Australia 2008/09

I don't have any affiliation with the book or the author: just recommending it on the basis of experience. That, a hire car, a satnav and the real estate section of weekend issue of The West Australian were all we needed to do a fast and efficient survey of where we wanted to live.

Cheers

b

Just got back from a reccie trip to Perth. My sister-in-law & her partner (with whom we stayed) had a copy of a book called "Living in Perth" by Kobie Hattingh. It comes out annually or biannually (and apparently has done for a few years now) and is subtitled "A reference guide for migrants and residents". We found it very useful for working out what suburbs were affordable and which were zoned for high-density occupation, and it's full of advice and information aimed at someone trying to find their feet in WA. It's available online from bookworm.com.au (hope the forum doesn't filter out the link here): Living in Perth Australia 2008/09

I don't have any affiliation with the book or the author: just recommending it on the basis of experience. That, a hire car, a satnav and the real estate section of weekend issue of The West Australian were all we needed to do a fast and efficient survey of where we wanted to live.

Cheers

b

We have that one except it's the 2006/07 version... we got ours from the Small buisness develpment corporation WA as our visa was a subclass 137 which they sponsored us for... and were sent it along with our welcome pack/smart move kit when we arrived here.... you can phone and see if you can get one to on: Perth 1800 199 125.

another good book which i was given as a present before we left the uk is: 'City guide Perth and surroundings" 12.99gbp published by Insight guides

min x:wubclub:

Guest Lee&Tab

Thanks for the info benlast have just ordered a copy as well ,you should contact author mate must be some commission there for you

Guest julie2g1b

hi there

thanks for the info of the book i have bought most books going on perth and oz

just ordered this one so will be good to read while we wait for house to sell

and more info on perth just put another thread up as there will be loads of people

interested anything at all will help

best wishes

julie :wubclub:

p.s They only had 5 copies left so hurry up if you want one

Guest dave&donna

Probably a really daft question but have you all ordered the Living in perth book online from australia and paid the air mail delivery charge or have you found it in shops over here because I've searched and can't find it anywhere in the uk?????

Donna :wubclub:

Guest julie2g1b

hi there donna

yes i ordered mine of the site in oz and paid the air mail insurance

as looked first if any in the uk but could not find it so went back on there site

had e mail thanking me for my order today

Guest rache&matt
hi there

thanks for the info of the book i have bought most books going on perth and oz

just ordered this one so will be good to read while we wait for house to sell

and more info on perth just put another thread up as there will be loads of people

interested anything at all will help

best wishes

Hi Julie,

When do you go to Perth?

Us in burton and planning to go later in year.

Rachel

Guest julie2g1b
Hi Julie,

When do you go to Perth?

Us in burton and planning to go later in year.

Rachel

hi rachel

yea we are going once house is sold

welcome to pio

send me a pm if you want to talk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daveintaiwan

Don't fret, they had 15 copies when I ordered mine today. This bit of 'advertising' must have increased their sales and prompted them to buy a few more!:smile:

Don't fret, they had 15 copies when I ordered mine today. This bit of 'advertising' must have increased their sales and prompted them to buy a few more!:smile:

Damn, I should have negotiated a commission! Or a least a beer when we get to Perth...

Cheers

Ben

Guest julie2g1b

hi all

just to say recived book last week very pleased with it has some really good info plus

stuff i already knew but nice to have in one place, would recommend to everyone going

to perth.

Guest laura_barrett

Hi there

Was there much infomation on rockingham in the book? Did you pay for insurance aswell?

Laura

Guest julie2g1b
Hi there

Was there much infomation on rockingham in the book? Did you pay for insurance aswell?

Laura

hi there

it just has references about as for info on rockingham not much really this is the list

migrating .................... employment

lifestyle....................banking

public health/private.....................financial planning

short term accom..................buying a home

car rentals..........buying a car

renting.................owning a business

suburbs........................habitat

taxation...................current affairs

education...............driving/transport

telecommunication

very interesting read some things are very handy to have yes i did pay the insurance, hope this helps

Guest laura_barrett

Thanks

Have just placed an order need all the help we can get! Lol

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daveintaiwan

My book arrived in Taiwan a few days ago (I didn't pay the insurance) and I have found it very useful. What I like about it is that it gives you a general overview of different aspects of living in Perth and then provides the website addresses. This is great as you don't bogged down in details, but if you do want to do further research in a particular area you can. Definitely recommend it for anyone moving or having recently moved to Perth.

Guest Glynn2547

Hi everyone,

we've had the book and found it very informative, some of the info in there you could easily get the answers of PIO but its great to have the info to hand and it has lots of webb sites to go to, real handy I found.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest rainbow

Got mine safely without insurance. Very handy book. Concise, balanced (also gives the negative aspects of life in Perth), and thin enough to carry around.

Found their list of surburb prices helpful - all nicely compiled and I could write it down beside the suburb location in their map for a good overview, rather than going back and forth to different web pages on the internet.

Got mine safely without insurance. Very handy book. Concise, balanced (also gives the negative aspects of life in Perth), and thin enough to carry around.

Found their list of surburb prices helpful - all nicely compiled and I could write it down beside the suburb location in their map for a good overview, rather than going back and forth to different web pages on the internet.

I got mine safely without insurance too. I think this is one of the best books ive brought with regards to Oz, very informative and not repetitive which I have found with some other books.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Emma

x

Archived