UK Holiday?

Sarahelle

Hello,

Unsure where to post this, so please feel free to move it since this isn't strictly a MBTTUK thread.

Since UKBA now have all these rules, if I want to go back to the UK on holiday with my Oz partner and daughter, are we likely to be interrogated at the border about our intentions? We are not moving back presently and simply want to visit, I'm just worried it's not going to be that simple.

Has anyone else had any problems visiting the UK with a non-EU spouse?

Thanks, Sarah

We visited in late 2012. Me being the Aussie my partner English. We had no issue just have to go through different lines. Partner the Uk/eu passport line, me the non eu one. If your daughter has a U.K. passport obviously she will go through the same line as you. Enjoy your holiday.

We visited in late 2012. Me being the Aussie my partner English. We had no issue just have to go through different lines. Partner the Uk/eu passport line, me the non eu one. If your daughter has a U.K. passport obviously she will go through the same line as you. Enjoy your holiday.

You don't have to go through different lines.

As long as one person in the family has a British passport, you can all go together through the British/EU line.

That wasn't our experience unfortunately. When we went back to the UK in August, we travelled on our UK passports and our two children on their Australian passports. UK immigration made us line up in the non-EU line, despite the fact that we were carrying one exhausted toddler and one distressed 5 month old. I wasn't thrilled I must admit!

That wasn't our experience unfortunately. When we went back to the UK in August, we travelled on our UK passports and our two children on their Australian passports. UK immigration made us line up in the non-EU line, despite the fact that we were carrying one exhausted toddler and one distressed 5 month old. I wasn't thrilled I must admit!

We were made to go through different lines. Me one my partner the other.

You don't have to go through different lines.

As long as one person in the family has a British passport, you can all go together through the British/EU line.

Not what happened to us. We had to go through different lines. Me the non eu line,my partner the UK/EU one as a result we almost missed our connecting flight. The non EU line was a long one. My partner was waiting at the top of the stairs for me and was quizzed about what he was doing. They shut the doors on the plane as we sat down another minute and we'd have missed it.

I've travelled multiple times with my kids and OH on Australian passports while I've been on a British passport and always go down British/EU line. I've never had a problem or question.

In fact, years ago the notices at Heathrow directing you used to say 'British and EU Passport Holders and their families'.

I've travelled multiple times with my kids and OH on Australian passports while I've been on a British passport and always go down British/EU line. I've never had a problem or question.

In fact, years ago the notices at Heathrow directing you used to say 'British and EU Passport Holders and their families'.

same experience here, my wife (aussie) went in the non-EU line but was told she could join me in the British line and thats what we always did. Doesnt matter now as she is a dual citizen.

i certainly wouldnt expect immigration to ask you a lot of questions about your intention.

We did try to go together as the UK/EU line was quicker and were told in no uncertain terms it was not allowed. Guess it depends on who's on the desk. Lucky you. Maybe it's because we are not married and have no children? Who know's?

Thank you for your experiences peeps, I guess it's me and my baby British and my partner non-EU which is fair enough. I just don't want to be accused of trying to evade immigration and held in one of those little rooms, lol.

My daughter doesn't have a passport yet but she'll have to have an Aussie one first as I believe for her to have a British one, I need to have something witnessed by someone with a Brit passport and I don't know anyone here. I'll have to get it done if/when I'm back for hols.

Thanks guys x

Thank you for your experiences peeps, I guess it's me and my baby British and my partner non-EU which is fair enough. I just don't want to be accused of trying to evade immigration and held in one of those little rooms, lol.

My daughter doesn't have a passport yet but she'll have to have an Aussie one first as I believe for her to have a British one, I need to have something witnessed by someone with a Brit passport and I don't know anyone here. I'll have to get it done if/when I'm back for hols.

Thanks guys x

To get a British passport for your daughter it has to be witnessed by a passport holder. They dont have to be british. Their nationality is of no importance - so anybody can do it as long as they hold a valid passport and meet the criteria (professional person etc, have known YOU for 2 or more years).

Archived