Getting a job as solicitor or lawyer on 457 Visa

lawrose

Hi all

I've been checking out threads on Poms in Oz and Poms in Adelaide for the last couple of weeks and would love to hear from any Irish or British qualified lawyers who moved to Adelaide (or anywhere else in Oz) on a 457 Visa.

I have 6 years PQE in a small general practice - doing mainly Wills/Estates, Personal Injury, Residential Property Law and Family Law - but with experience in other areas too such as small scale Commercial Property Law, Employment Law and a little bit of Criminal Law.

I love the sound of Adelaide, although I've never been. I did spend a year split between Sydney and Brisbane in the late 90's on a WHV with my then boyfriend (now husband). Then about 8 years ago we spent 2 months holidays travelling around the East Coast and WA - but never made it to Adelaide. We both loved Australia but decided to return to Ireland for me to complete my solicitor training. Then we had kids and we never really thought about leaving.

My husband is a CAD Draughtsman/Residential Architectural Technician with around 18 years experience, the last 12 years self employed. His area of work has been wiped out since around 2008-2009 and he might have 1-2 days work per week these days. He also looks after our 3 kids aged 7, 5 and 2.

I think we would have better opportunities in Australia (for me, him and the kids), but my husband isn't so convinced. We live pretty close to both our families here and we do have a lot of family support. Having said that, he says he is (reluctantly) open to me looking into the whole thing a bit more!

My own job is very stable and definitely has prospects for partnership in the near future. We have a beautiful house and a reasonable lifestyle, but every month it's a push to pay the mortgage and bills. Maybe I'm mad not to be happy with what we've got!

I'd love to know what work prospects would be like in Adelaide for someone with my type of experience. I know if I had commercial experience in a big firm that I would probably have no problem getting work - but I don't!

Is it difficult to get 457 Sponsorship from a law firm?

I know that the only way to get PR is to be admitted to practice in Australia, which will likely involve me taking exams in certain subjects as required by the SA Law Society. Is there any possibility of completing those subjects online from Ireland, and then travelling to Oz to sit the exams?

I'd really love to hear from anyone who has experience of the above. Thanks for your help!

lawrose

There are some solicitors on here who will hopefully pop along to advise more. However, personally I would be surprised if you could obtain sponsorship given that it takes some significant time to cross qualify. Also, are you aware that a 457 is only a tempo ray visa? Have you looked to see if either of you would qualify for skilled migration?

The one thing I will say is that the fact your husband is not keen on this is a bigger concern than the visa! This is a pretty stressful process and unless both parties are 100% for it, then I wouldn't attempt it. The possibility for causing serious issues for your relationship is high. Consider what would happen if you obtained a visa, are then not earning due to cross qualifying, your husband struggles to find work. Resentment for "causing" the situation can very quickly start.

I'm sorry to say it, but you do not have any special skills that would mean that someone is likely to sponsor you. There is no shortage of lawyers in Australia, and to get anywhere you need to be admitted to practise here which as you know involves more study and exams. Even then, you will be lining up against plenty of other people with general experience.

You will also incur considerable expense to re-qualify and also be setting your career back as you will not get the credit you deserve for 6 years of experience in terms of wages.

There are people on here who have made the move and are working - often in bigger markets such as Sydney. But they are effectively working as clerks if they are not admitted and no doubt the firms they work for consider them a bargain!

Thanks for the replies so far - this definitely won't be easy if it's something we decide to do.

I admit, my husband's reluctance is a major factor - but he has admitted he loved Oz when we were there and he has acknowledged that he has a good chance of getting work in Oz, because he has Australian and New Zealand experience in the past.

I think this is something we will take plenty of time to think about (but not too long as I'll be 40 next year!).

If anyone else has any more advice I'd be delighted!

Thanks

lawrose

Just be aware of what it is you are doing. I hold an LLB so, do know a little and do look at posts over the years regarding this. You will be studying for some time - not just "doing exams". You would be very surprised how different the legal system is here in many ways. Personally, think there is very little similarity.

Salaries are not likely to be close to what you currently earn. You will be only regarded as a step ahead of a new grad, in a system that is, like the UK, pouring out new LLB grads at a rapid rate of knots.

I don't know about architect technicians. But I have seen a number of architects struggle to get work.

Factor in a economy that is starting to show some serious signs of weakness and a husband that is not keen and I would honestly be thinking very long and hard.

If you are adamant you want to do it, then you need to be looking at skilled migration. The starting point is immi.gov.au and you need to see if solicitor is on the SOL or CSOL list. I can't rememeber, but I think it is only on the CSOL. If it is only on the CSOL, then you need to check which states are sponsoring. Each state has it's own lists and occupations on the CSOL need either state or business sponsorship.

If you did decide to try 457, then the aspects you need to be aware of are:

It is a temp visa valid for up to 4 years.

It is tied to the employer and if you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another who is willing and able to sponsor within 90 days or leave the country.

Depending on the state, you may face school fees in the thousands for any children

You would be an international student for the purpose of study fees - think $10's of thousands.

The partners of 457 holders find it hard to find work because they are only on a temp visa.

This is why I never recommend a 457 unless a last resort. I came on a 457.

Hi VeryStormy

Thanks for the very honest post - I think a lot of us who are hoping to travel to Oz in the future rely too much on the positive posts and gloss over the posts that set out the realities! Your reply has definitely worried me and I will have to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

I had seen various posts from UK and Irish lawyers who are working in Oz on 457 visa's and would be interested to know where in Oz they are, what area of law they practice in, and how they managed to get 457 sponsorship from their home country.

I've checked the SOL and Solicitors are on it. Both solicitor and architectural technician are on the Consolidated SOL, but I need to check the lists for each State to see which states will sponsor those specific occupations.

I am an Australian lawyer, have worked as a HR Manager in a law firm and have had to transition UK lawyers into the Australian system. That's why I caution you against the move. A lot of people find themselves undertaking a lot of extra subjects and never quite catching up where they would have been at home. It works if you are a partner with a specialty in demand (because you get paid handsomely and the firm pays your fees).

Otherwise, you can be trying to find a job, resettle your family and study all at once, which is a lot of stress. The study you will need to do is the whole subjects you are deemed to need - not a short cramming course before an exam like you might find in the US. This means that is can take a couple years (at least) to finish them off whilst also working full time.

I'm sorry to sound negative and I am sure someone will be along shortly to reassure you that it is not as bad as it sounds!

Hi VeryStormy

Thanks for the very honest post - I think a lot of us who are hoping to travel to Oz in the future rely too much on the positive posts and gloss over the posts that set out the realities! Your reply has definitely worried me and I will have to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

I had seen various posts from UK and Irish lawyers who are working in Oz on 457 visa's and would be interested to know where in Oz they are, what area of law they practice in, and how they managed to get 457 sponsorship from their home country.

I've checked the SOL and Solicitors are on it. Both solicitor and architectural technician are on the Consolidated SOL, but I need to check the lists for each State to see which states will sponsor those specific occupations.

I guess one of the ways people end up here on a 457 was that they started on a working holiday visa and transitioned to a 457. They are often not admitted to practise. The other problem is that many of the large law firms in Australia now have merged or have associations with international firms. They need to take lawyers from their international offices so they are less likely to be in the market for more foreign lawyers.

If you are interested in Adelaide, contact the Law Society of South Australia for some guidance as well on the employment market.

The Adelaide job market in general has slowed down significantly over the past 2 years and as a result of this I know of several law firms that have made staff redundant.

I think you are making quite a few generalised assumptions of what life would be like in Adelaide, which may not be the reality if you were to move here. From your initial post there seems to be more reasons to stay in Ireland than to move to Adelaide/Australia.

Archived