Permanent resident, time spent out of country and citizenship

hakn449

Hi,

I have heard that, on PR, have to spend some specific time in Australia to apply for citizenship and the time spent out of the country (Australia) is not counted. What if, some one has a job which requires overseas business travels and each travel could be 5 days a week. Will that time spent overseas not be counted to be eligible for applying for citizenship or is this condition applicable to some specific conditions.

Thanks

The rule is that you must have been here 4 years with at least one year as a permanent resident. You must not have been out of Australia more than a total of 12 months in that 4 years and no more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to applying.

There are exceptions for those that work in the resources sector and sailors / marine staff. Outside of these categories it would be very difficult as you would need to rely on a ministerial discretion. Not something that is given often.

However, you can simply try. I am still not sure if I was under of over the limit when I applied and was granted.

Archived