Can any hairdressers help please?

minijax172

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help me please, I qualified City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 in 2006. I don't know if anyone else is in the same position but to qualify for AQF III you have to be able to do mens hair, perming and chemical straightening.

I don't know about what's included in level 2 now, but at the time mens hair and chemical straightening wasn't included in the course. Since qualifying I learnt how to do these with in salon training but didn't go in any courses so really I am not qualified in these areas. I also didn't do perming in my course as I had the choice to opt out of perming and choose something else. I have also since learnt that.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and had a successful skills assessment? I guess I could do a couple of short courses to get certificates but it's just more money on something I already know what to do and have done plenty of times.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Sarah

Welcome, have you checked the Skills list to see if hairdressers are needed in Aus. Also look at the different State lists, good luck

Yes its on the CSOL list in quite a few states. I'm looking at the 489 visa in QLD. I've gathered loads of information about it all but need answers to the hairdressing questions. I have also contacted Victoria university skills assessment but says can take a week to reply. So wondered if anyone else had been in the same boat but managed a positive skills assessment.

Thanks

I'm afraid there's unlikely to be anyone in the same boat because the assessing authority has only just changed from TRA to a TRA approved RTO (which will have different criteria).

I'd suggest strong statements, photos and other supporting evidence to show experience in any units of competency that weren't part of your NVQ.

I'm afraid there's unlikely to be anyone in the same boat because the assessing authority has only just changed from TRA to a TRA approved RTO (which will have different criteria).

I'd suggest strong statements, photos and other supporting evidence to show experience in any units of competency that weren't part of your NVQ.

Oh I see, ok that's great, thank you Adam for your advice

Sarah :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.............I qualified level 3 in July 2013 (C&G) and there was no chemical straightening on that qualification? Also men's hair was a separate course which I also done alongside doing my level 3.

I have also looked at the lists for all of the states last month and only Northern Territory were sponsoring hairdressers, I'm wanting to get to Perth so I'm devastated xx

Good Luck xx

Hi.............I qualified level 3 in July 2013 (C&G) and there was no chemical straightening on that qualification? Also men's hair was a separate course which I also done alongside doing my level 3.

I have also looked at the lists for all of the states last month and only Northern Territory were sponsoring hairdressers, I'm wanting to get to Perth so I'm devastated xx

Good Luck xx

Thanks for your reply. There's still lots of visas available for hairdressers:

The 190 visa for South Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

The 489 visa for Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

Unfortunately no Western Australia for you but there is ways in to Australia for you. Then after a couple of years you could always move to Perth.

On the Vetasses, Victoria University and Tradeset website they all say you need to be able to do chemical straightening. I'm going to try do a few courses soon.

The lists update on 1st of July so keep an eye out, you never know Western Australia may come back on it. :-)

http://www.anzscosearch.com/ Look up hairdresser on there, it's much clearer to see which states are doing what and it's updated pretty regularly.

Sarah

Archived