Bowel Cancer be aware

Petals

I followed the lad in the UK who sadly died from bowel cancer that was not diagnosed and its funny how something like this brings things to mind. Quite a few years ago a friend of a friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer in her forties. She had the treatment and at the time the docs insisted that she have all her children tested which she did. It turned out that her young teenage daughter had the disease too and it was more advanced than her mums. She got the treatment and is fine now. So we have to be very aware and proactive if we have bowel cancer in our family and its not a waste of time to insist on a test from a young age.

There was another article in the paper saying that some docs just do not realise that the young person might have bowel cancer so its up to young people to keep their doc informed and follow up on any treatment that is not working.

I of course am aware that young people get cancer as my daughter lives with brain cancer so in a way every time she tells me she has a bad headache I worry. She is ten years on now but the last mri revealed what they think is scar tissue but they have shortened the time for her mris from a year to six monthly now so they can watch.

Education and early diagnosis makes such difference to outcomes.

There is a condition called F.A.P.S (I think that's it - no idea what the letters stand for) but people who have it get masses of polyps in their colons. A polyp is a sort of wart, looked on as potentially cancerous ... so if you have this multi-polyp condition, you are more likely to get bowel cancer. It runs in families and in some cases there is a faulty gene. A common route to diagnosis is abnormal bleeding. If you get a diagnosis of whatever-its-called, you are recommended to see a geneticist, and offered a blood test for the faulty gene. Even if you haven't got the faulty gene (as is the case in my family) your children will be advised to see a doctor for regular checks.

I think we all know what those are ... but what would you prefer ... a bit of embarrassment and discomfort or a wooden box?

There is a condition called F.A.P.S (I think that's it - no idea what the letters stand for) but people who have it get masses of polyps in their colons. A polyp is a sort of wart, looked on as potentially cancerous ... so if you have this multi-polyp condition, you are more likely to get bowel cancer. It runs in families and in some cases there is a faulty gene. A common route to diagnosis is abnormal bleeding. If you get a diagnosis of whatever-its-called, you are recommended to see a geneticist, and offered a blood test for the faulty gene. Even if you haven't got the faulty gene (as is the case in my family) your children will be advised to see a doctor for regular checks.

I think we all know what those are ... but what would you prefer ... a bit of embarrassment and discomfort or a wooden box?

Just a point, Im diabetic type two and a few years ago, here in Australia I read an article linking diabetes with bowel cancer. I eventually booked in for a colonoscopy. It proved positive and I was in for surgery the following week! as it happened the op didn't go well and I ended up with a three week stay eventually having a second operation to fix an Eilius which is where the area was stuck together leaving me unable to get anything down. I lost 104 cm of whatever was causing the stoppage! I now get a colonoscopy every year with the latest one being on 6th June. Im always told when I come too that more benign polyps have been removed with the surgeon saying Im growing then at a prolific rate!

I would encourage anyone that suspects a problem to go to their GP and ask for a colonoscopy its well worth the peace of mind.

I have trouble with my bowels , and digestive system , I have had every test going found nothing stool samples everything , lost weight but not dramatically .

Said id I was anemic , gave me iron tablets made me Ill for days , iron levels dropped that much sent me for a iron infusion , half way through iron infusion had a reaction , cannot have them again , told to eat red meat veg ect... Which I do eat quite healthy anyway but twice a week I will have a curry or a maccas or a pizza .

Had ad a appointment to go for camera up and down has I left perth came through on day of my flight to brissie , although I'm not worried still need to follow it threw , but feel a lot better with food since being in brissie .

Sounds ds crazy I know , but meat in brissie is grass fed on menus , meat in perth I believe cows are pumped with hormones that's what I was told , not sure if that's true or not .

I had had all tests done for free , on Medicare system , I have private health care aswel , family of four top hospital cover and ambulance cover for piece of mind .

Do I feel guilty having tests for free on Medicare system , no I don't they didn't ask me for any money or I would of paid , take enough 4' 000 a fornight in tax off oh , so no I don't feel guilty . But wether it costs you or not get it checked :biggrin:

Hi,

http://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/bca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145&Itemid=298&gclid=COuDtuXhwL4CFceUvQodmhkAqQ

Kits are available through the chemist as well.

EukiBear, Please, if you have any sort of concern, DO NOT rely on the kits for ten bucks, get referred from your doctor and get a colonoscopy. Its a breeze, you go under and wake up with ( Hopefully) peace of mind. The stool kit is not a great indicator.

Archived