Oz January 2015! Help with route, hostels & work!!

Mikeyp86

Hi

I am going to Brisbane in January 2015 for 3-4 months to stay with my sister who lives there, after this ill be backpacking up the coast. I have a WHV granted for 1 year. In the 1st 3-4 months I am hoping to get some agricultural work, so I can get my 2nd year, so im not worrying for the rest of the 1st year whether ill get my 2nd year whv or not.

After this I was thinking of getting an internal flight to perth and working my way up the east coast backpacking. eventually ending back in brisbane.

I am quite lucky because i have a good start in my sister but after that ill be on my own and was just wondering what the best places and route to take will be?

Also any advice on hostels and best places to find work would be much appreciated!

Thankyouuuuu

Cant say i understand your route mate, so youre flying into brisbane and staying for 3/4 months? Im with you that far, but then flying to Perth and working your way up the east coast backpacking then ending back in Brisbane doesnt make any sense. Perth is isolated on the west coast far from anything else, you fly there and its a lonnggg way back to Brisbane via any backpacking route.

Cant say i understand your route mate, so youre flying into brisbane and staying for 3/4 months? Im with you that far, but then flying to Perth and working your way up the east coast backpacking then ending back in Brisbane doesnt make any sense. Perth is isolated on the west coast far from anything else, you fly there and its a lonnggg way back to Brisbane via any backpacking route.

Thanks for the reply.

yeah that was my plan as I have to end back in Brisbane, that was the idea of travelling up, however i now realise this my be unachievable! I am open to any options, either travelling down or up the coast. What route would you recommend?

Thanks!

You don't really travel up down or around the coast to get to Perth! I would recommend going to Brisbane and working your way DOWN the EAST coast, towards Sydney, Melbourne and then along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide etc... - from there you could get an internal flight to Perth. Once you've done what you want to do in Perth, get an internal flight to Darwin or Cairns and make your way back to Brisbane that way, so you're essentially doing a big circle.

You don't really travel up down or around the coast to get to Perth! I would recommend going to Brisbane and working your way DOWN the EAST coast, towards Sydney, Melbourne and then along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide etc... - from there you could get an internal flight to Perth. Once you've done what you want to do in Perth, get an internal flight to Darwin or Cairns and make your way back to Brisbane that way, so you're essentially doing a big circle.

Thankyou! sounds like a plan!

I may give perth a miss depending on funds but i'll have to see!

After doing some research I definitely fancy Cairns so that sounds good to me :)

Hi

I am going to Brisbane in January 2015 for 3-4 months to stay with my sister who lives there, after this ill be backpacking up the coast. I have a WHV granted for 1 year. In the 1st 3-4 months I am hoping to get some agricultural work, so I can get my 2nd year, so im not worrying for the rest of the 1st year whether ill get my 2nd year whv or not.

After this I was thinking of getting an internal flight to perth and working my way up the east coast backpacking. eventually ending back in brisbane.

I am quite lucky because i have a good start in my sister but after that ill be on my own and was just wondering what the best places and route to take will be?

Also any advice on hostels and best places to find work would be much appreciated!

Thankyouuuuu

Can't make head nor tail of your plans to be honest. Your time in Brisbane and your regional work, seems to be overlapping? Are you sure you are going to get the appropriate work whilst in Brisbane? And Brisbane in January? It is not horrendous or anything, but Brisbane is so much nicer any time of year but the peak of summer. As for the Perth thing, I think you must be confusing it with another city as others have said! It might be worth investing in a big Australia map for your wall and plotting something out on there.

Can't make head nor tail of your plans to be honest. Your time in Brisbane and your regional work, seems to be overlapping? Are you sure you are going to get the appropriate work whilst in Brisbane? And Brisbane in January? It is not horrendous or anything, but Brisbane is so much nicer any time of year but the peak of summer. As for the Perth thing, I think you must be confusing it with another city as others have said! It might be worth investing in a big Australia map for your wall and plotting something out on there.

Maybe my 1st post isn't so clear.

The plan is to go to Brisbane & do the appropriate work there in order to get my 2nd year, as I have free accommodation etc, due to living with my sister. after this I am open to travel where ever & was looking for the best route.

I initially thought it would be best to go right over to the west coast (internal flight) to Perth then onto Adelaide then Melbourne etc etc and back up to Brisbane. However I now realise I am probably best working down from Brisbane and getting the internal flight back up and the end of my travels from either Adelaide or Perth ( I will see what funds I have at the end of my trip, as to whether I go see Perth or not).

In regards to going to Brisbane in the peak of summer, I have been warned but I have a career break from work booked in from January 15 to Jan 16 so I have to go at this time unfortunately and with my sister living there, this is the reason Im going there 1st.

Hope this clears my 1st post up for you! (just re-reading it and it does seem a bit all over! sry was tired when I wrote it :P)

Have a look at what qualifies for 2nd year work and where. No where near Brisbane will qualify unless you're willing to drive hours each day unfortunately so the free accomodation won't work out that way.

Okay thanks, I will look into it! I may just have to settle with doing any old work there and maybe do agricultural work else where then!

Maybe my 1st post isn't so clear.

The plan is to go to Brisbane & do the appropriate work there in order to get my 2nd year, as I have free accommodation etc, due to living with my sister. after this I am open to travel where ever & was looking for the best route.

I initially thought it would be best to go right over to the west coast (internal flight) to Perth then onto Adelaide then Melbourne etc etc and back up to Brisbane. However I now realise I am probably best working down from Brisbane and getting the internal flight back up and the end of my travels from either Adelaide or Perth ( I will see what funds I have at the end of my trip, as to whether I go see Perth or not).

In regards to going to Brisbane in the peak of summer, I have been warned but I have a career break from work booked in from January 15 to Jan 16 so I have to go at this time unfortunately and with my sister living there, this is the reason Im going there 1st.

Hope this clears my 1st post up for you! (just re-reading it and it does seem a bit all over! sry was tired when I wrote it :P)

As I said, Brisbane and regional work just don't really go together, Brisbane is not regional. I wouldn't go so far as to *warn* anyone against Brisbane in summer, I just think there are preferable times of the year for you to consider for anywhere in Queensland.

I'd maybe ditch Perth, especially if you he want to spend a few months in one place. But I think anything from Adelaide to Darwin, moving anti clockwise round the country would be interesting. Wasn't being facetious about the map either, it really might help you visualise a route.

Sunshine coast counts as regional, unless things have changed, only 1 hour from Brisbane, not a lot of farm work here, but persimmon and strawberry picking used to be available, although I have heard it is harder to get strawberry picking work locally as they appear to bring gangs in these days. Back packer hostel in Mooloolaba and Maroochydore, might be worth contacting to see what the work situation might be like.

Archived