Parent Visa Waiting Time

Guest austibeach

Guest austibeach

Does anyone have any experience of how long the waiting time is when an application is lodged under the Parent Visa ?

I understand that it may well take several years. However, is that two or ten ?

Eric.

Is this the contributory parent visa? The waiting time on these seems to have gone up from around 9/12 months to 12/18 months since they were first introduced. There are lots of us now waiting, and it's a slow process. As far as the non-contributory parent visas are concerned, I believe those could take 10 years as there are so few of them, but perhaps one of the agents who post on this site would correct me.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Eric

My Mum is an applicant for a Contributory Parent visa. The reason I was up and about late last night gnashing my teeth was because Centrelink are driving me mad at the moment in connection with Mum's application. :evil:

I was browsing the DIMA website at one point (its amazing what you discover on that if you use search-parameters that don't lead directly to what you were hoping to find...)

Anyhow, I found a bit which says that the quota of Contributory Parent visas has again been set at 3.500 visas for 2006/7. It said that the number of Parent places available has been set at 1,000 - which is 250 up on 2005/6. It added that as of 1st May 2006 or something (I can't remember the exact date) 17,000 non-contributory Parents are in the official Queue for this visa.

Realistically, some of them will die during the inordinate wait. Others will fail the meds the second time around, at the far end of the process. Some will switch to the Contributory Parent queue instead. But it still looks like one heckuva wait.

Regards

Gill

Guest austibeach

Well thanks guys for such a quick response, as I am new to your group, it's nice to feel welcome. In our case we are not quite at the point of actually attempting to gain a visa. The situation is that our daughter is currently living with her partner in Oz and is expecting our first grandchild next February. She is currently in the throws of trying to gain her own visa, which hopefully should go without a hitch as he is Australian.

We have visited Australia on many occasions and we are in fact going out again in March 2007. It took us many years before we realised we loved the place so much we want to be there when we retire. We are luckier than some, as my sister has been there for over 25 years and we also have a good many friends through our involvement with Surf Life Saving and rugby, so settling there would be very easy for us.

It does rather look as if we will have to go the way of the C.P. Visa as the waiting list otherwise looks nigh on impossible.

No doubt I will be reading through the progress of other members as time goes by and asking you all questions galore.

Thanks, Eric.

Guest Gollywobbler

Dear Eric

This group is under-represented in terms of wannabe migrant parents and their offspring, so I'm delighted by your recent decision to join us.

In the Contributory Parent group the timelines are as Nico has said.

Eric, have you checked the criteria on the Balance of Family Test and Health? Those are crucial to either type of Parent-migration.

My mother is 85. Until 3 years ago (when the relevant Law changed) Mum was not eligible for Parent-migration because she could not satisfy the Balance Of Family Test. Because of the alteration to the Regulations in 2003, Mum's' 67-year old UK-dwelling step-child (I am not bloody well joking) is no longer a barrier to the fact that her own two children are split 50/50 about where each of us chooses to live.

Can I have a shred of respect for a system which has spent the last 15 years rejecting my mother because of these facts? Could you if she were your own mother?

Nuff said, I think!

Gill

Archived