AHPRA application

Hi everyone. Is there anyone that can tell me if I can apply fir ahpra before my visa cones through? As when I was filling in the form and thet ask for proof of identity (which im sending my uk passport) it says "with Australian visa" next to it? So i just had my visa invitation and am applying but wanted to get the ball rolling with ahpra as heard it takes a while? Does anyone have experience with this? Would appreciate advice. Thank you x

Yes you can apply for ahpra prior to getting a visa. I have started the ball rolling, as it appears to be taking ages. I contacted aphra about the identity issue and was informed that I could produce my passport with visa when I arrive at the ahpra office. I have ticked that box & wrote a cover letter. Goodluck!

PS.

If you intend to apply for ahpra I would advise you to contact the NMC ASAP for your verification, as they have a huge backlog (due to criteria 3), I had to apply for an extension with aphra, as it has only just been sent!!! The good news is the NMC are attaching the Criteria 3 accreditation to your verification now!

PS.

If you intend to apply for ahpra I would advise you to contact the NMC ASAP for your verification, as they have a huge backlog (due to criteria 3), I had to apply for an extension with aphra, as it has only just been sent!!! The good news is the NMC are attaching the Criteria 3 accreditation to your verification now!

Yes you can apply for ahpra prior to getting a visa. I have started the ball rolling, as it appears to be taking ages. I contacted aphra about the identity issue and was informed that I could produce my passport with visa when I arrive at the ahpra office. I have ticked that box & wrote a cover letter. Goodluck!

So where are you looking to move to in aus? Were looking a queensland x

Guest kandenna

I have been a Nurse Practitioner in the US for 20 years and am trying to get endorsed to work in Australia. My application is still under review with AHPRA. Does anyone know the time frame for the NP approval and the job market for NPs? Specifically Perth. Any suggestions on finding jobs for a permanent work visa?

Guest kandenna

Thanks. Due to misunderstandings, mine has already taken 3 months for the RN and still isn't complete. Hopefully the NP will be faster, but I've been warned that it doesn't. Good luck on your move.

Hi Kandenna,

There are many nurses on here, myself included, whose wait is now over 4 months, due to the introduction of new criteria in February. I have PR visa, and ANMAC accreditation. Also am a community nurse practitioner in the UK, but no AHPRA registration yet. So I guess we're all playing the waiting game.

All the best.

Guest kandenna

OK, I don't feel like I'm doing everything wrong now. Any ideas on the job opportunities? (mainly in Perth) I think I'll have to get a work sponsored visa. Do we have to take a skills test as Nurse Practitioners?

Not aware of a 'skills test' but ANMAC are the body that assess your skills and agree which ANZCO code best fits your skills, but you only need ANMAC for PR visa, to the best of my knowledge. As for job opportunities, I'm just starting to apply as not looking to move until November. Hopefully more expert people on this forum will be able to advise on them.

Good luck.

There is already a huge shortage of nurses in Aus. Apparantly they are having a big drive on nurse training at the moment for Australians but thats going to take years -as we know- so you would think they would be keen to get us registered. I think its down to this new criteria for sure. I bet no one is confident in signing overseas nurses off.

I was on a webinar the other day and a migration agent from Immi2oz said he had people approved since the changes came in however said there was a 5 month wait. I hope thats true however, seems odd seen as there are hundreds possibly of nurses on this forum all waiting for their AHPRA registration. Never known anything like it in the 6 years I have been on this forum.

Rest assured, there is no nursing shortage in Australia, thats why the union wants 457 visas reviewed in nursing and there are hundreds of new graduates out of work. However as Australian nurses are general educated and cannot afford to do further post grad studies many of the specialties duch as mental health, theatre, icu are always looking for staff. Many recruitment companies are doing tgeir best to survive but the deal is not many 457 available thats why PR visas are preferable because then you can do casual part tme alike and get plenty of work that way.

Apparently even aged care are getting 100, s applying just to get a foot in the door-mainly from overseas as there are no jobs.

Edited by ceridwyn

Its just a shame that the hospitals I seem to be contacting do not understand the skills us student mental health nurses have. I keep being compared to an australian newly qualified and told to get 12 months work experience in mental health and possibly post grad courses. Little do they know I have done over 2300 hours (off the top of my head 4 x what Oz students do) specific to mental health.