457 Visa Holder looking for job from offshore

Hey Guys

Thanks for reading my thread.

I am an IT professional and i work in an Multinational firm in india . I got my 457 visa approved last year through the same company . But i never travelled because the project for which i was proposed for, got scrapped at the last minute. I tried to find a new project in australia within my present company but in vain.

is it legally possible to change job to another company in australia (while being in india) ? even without travelling to australia once through my 457 visa ?

i would like to get another job in australia , change my nomination to new employer and use my existing 457 visa to travel . Is this possible ?

kindly let me know your expert opinion

Thanks

Your current 457 only allows you to work in the nominated occupation for the nominating sponsor. If you aren't taking up the nominated position, both you and your employer have an obligation to notify DIBP who may then cancel the 457.

If you want to move to another company, you'd need to find another eligible sponsor - they then need to lodge a successful nomination. Finding a 457 sponsor is difficult enough from within Australia, and doing it from overseas is quite difficult although not impossible.

Hey Guys

Thanks for reading my thread.

I am an IT professional and i work in an Multinational firm in india . I got my 457 visa approved last year through the same company . But i never travelled because the project for which i was proposed for, got scrapped at the last minute. I tried to find a new project in australia within my present company but in vain.

is it legally possible to change job to another company in australia (while being in india) ? even without travelling to australia once through my 457 visa ?

i would like to get another job in australia , change my nomination to new employer and use my existing 457 visa to travel . Is this possible ?

kindly let me know your expert opinion

Thanks

Well it is May now and you said you got your 457 visa last year, you really should have taken steps to get this cancelled by now, so should the company and indeed maybe they did? They in particular could get into trouble for not keeping immigration up to date.

i would just focus on starting again to be honest.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I am also in the same situation now as you were. Could you please tell me how did you solve the problem ? I got my 457 visa and will be working in Australia till September 2015. My question is once I come back to India in october, still my 457 visa is valid up to the remaining 3.5 years ? or will it be cancelled after 90 days ? If it is valid then can I do the job search from India ?

Archived