Shipping items - PS4, baking equipment, camera, Swarovski items

Just wondering........we are looking to ship some items back to Adelaide when we move later this year and while we arent sending all our furniture and other misc stuff we are sending personal items and a few things I am not sure about if it is ok to ship or not.

Does anyone have any experience which shipping items such as PS4's, camera's, baking equipment (moulds, decorations, sugar paste etc) and rather expensive Swarovski items?

Would you consider shipping or perhaps taking them in our luggage/carry on?

With the baking equipment, would it get through customs if it was shipped?

The Swarovski items can be quite heavy (two in particular) so not sure how it would go in carry on (given we have 2 toddlers to carry about as well as carry ons for them and for us) but then not sure about shipping either. My partner wants to send his computer screens to Oz and was looking at doing that via FedEx or some such as it was quite quick and he thought cheap, so perhaps we could consider doing the Swarovski via that option as well.

And the most important (according to my partner anyways) is the PS4 and the best way to ship that. He is very pedantic and a little OCD (not making fun, he genuinely does have mild OCD) about his items and particularly his PS3 and PS4 so hoping for some advice on the best way to get this to Oz.

Thanks all :)

You don't happen to still have the original boxes for your items do you? I'd probably ship everything rather than trying to take them in luggage but I don't know who you would use to ship them. We shipped pretty much everything in a container, including two Swarovski champagne glasses that I had the original boxes for. They arrived in perfect condition. We did bring a couple of laptops in the suitcases (and rather a lot of Lego). I packed them in the middle of the suitcases and surrounded by lots of clothes to protect them. The iPad came over in my hand luggage. If you do decide to bring things on the plane I would probably wrap them in something protective and put them in the suitcases rather than trying to take them in hand luggage.

We got as much as we could in our luggage Wii, hard drive, tablets, lap tops etc mostly hand but some inthe case just wrap it in clothes etc. Did get stopped as easch persons hand luch looked like a maze of wires (bomb) I even packed my iron in my hand luggage so be prepared to be stopped.

Other wise ship the rest the shippers normal pack real well so the rest should be ok, good luck.

Tina

Just wondering........we are looking to ship some items back to Adelaide when we move later this year and while we arent sending all our furniture and other misc stuff we are sending personal items and a few things I am not sure about if it is ok to ship or not.

Does anyone have any experience which shipping items such as PS4's, camera's, baking equipment (moulds, decorations, sugar paste etc) and rather expensive Swarovski items?

Would you consider shipping or perhaps taking them in our luggage/carry on?

With the baking equipment, would it get through customs if it was shipped?

The Swarovski items can be quite heavy (two in particular) so not sure how it would go in carry on (given we have 2 toddlers to carry about as well as carry ons for them and for us) but then not sure about shipping either. My partner wants to send his computer screens to Oz and was looking at doing that via FedEx or some such as it was quite quick and he thought cheap, so perhaps we could consider doing the Swarovski via that option as well.

And the most important (according to my partner anyways) is the PS4 and the best way to ship that. He is very pedantic and a little OCD (not making fun, he genuinely does have mild OCD) about his items and particularly his PS3 and PS4 so hoping for some advice on the best way to get this to Oz.

Thanks all :)

In all fairness to the removal companies, as long as you use a reputable one, insure your goods, and let them pack the goods, they will almost always arrive here in excellent condition.

We sent a crystal chandelier, it arrived fine.

We sent 3 plasma TV's 52 inch, and they arrived fine.

You can Fed Ex stuff, and it will get here fine, but insure it, and let them pack it.

Good Luck.

You don't happen to still have the original boxes for your items do you?.

We do still have all the original boxes for pretty much EVERYTHING I listed we hope to take (thanks to my partner's obsession with keeping the all - worse than some women with their shoe boxes :wink:) so that definitely works in our favour when it comes to shipping and/or packing in our luggage.

I have just heard soooooo many bad things about shipping companies that I dont want to risk the items being damaged (I can only imagine his comments if they get to Oz in a damaged state), but we cant reasonably pack everything in our carry on/checked luggage so I think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and send it via a shipping company.

I didnt think the shipping company would pack our stuff as they say on the website they will drop off the boxes, we pack and then they collect - is that not right???????

We will have our laptop, important hard drive/s and iPad in the carry ons as well as a the smaller (easy to carry and fairly lightweight) camera so I didnt want to pack too much in the way of electronics.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice thus far :)

I'd be rather cautious about laptops etc in checked luggage as some insurance policies don't cover them if stolen. Best to read the fine print...

Also all of the 1 way immigration style policies I've found so far have pretty small limits on replacing personal items (ie a £65 5day policy will only cover £1500 with £65 excess). Yet to find a policy that will cover our 2 laptops, 1 ipad, 2x iphones etc. If we lost 1 backpack we'd be out of pocket....

I'd be rather cautious about laptops etc in checked luggage as some insurance policies don't cover them if stolen. Best to read the fine print...

Also all of the 1 way immigration style policies I've found so far have pretty small limits on replacing personal items (ie a £65 5day policy will only cover £1500 with £65 excess). Yet to find a policy that will cover our 2 laptops, 1 ipad, 2x iphones etc. If we lost 1 backpack we'd be out of pocket....

How likely is it that you would loose hand luggage?

How likely is it that you would loose hand luggage?

Normally not likely... but after spending (probably a fairly sleepless night in a hotel) I can see how my husband and I with 2 young children, a stroller, 4 large suitcases + 4 carry on bags could (after a 28hr commute to Oz) be easy targets in an airport or simply forget something (hopefully not one of the children!).

Archived