Can I bring my oils

miw54

I am an Aromatherapist and have a great collection of pure essential oils that I was intending bringing with me when I return to Oz. I saw a post earlier where someone had something confiscated because it wasn't allowed in the country. Does anyone know if the oils would be refused as they are extracted from plants. I hope not as it will be hugely expensive to replace them all but I don't want to be fined or charged a lot of money for them to be destroyed on arrival.:cry:

I'd like an answer to this question too, but for a different reason. I was going to use Anglo Pacific for my shipping but was horrified when i saw their prohibited items list. It excluded liquids, creams and to emphasise this they had pictures of perfume and face cream tubs. I'd been stocking up on my favourite things and now am worried I've wasted money. Anglo Pacific also say that you're not allowed any wooden articles and I know that's baloney. You shouldn't be packing sticks you've picked up in the back garden or a wooden bowl that you carved from an ant or fungus infected tree. But furniture etc should be fine.

So my question is : What are other's experiences?? Are Anglo Pacific being over the top? Did any ladies on this site pack and send their make up and toiletries back via shipping?? I saw someone else had posted a similar question but the topic moved on to what you can take on board. I'm proposing shipping stuff back, as I want to make the most of the space I have for the flight.

Here's the Australian Govt advice on restricted and prohibited items. http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating - you can check individual items in the ICON database (link on that page) to be sure.

Some moving companies might advise against items for reasons other than their being strictly banned from a country - for example liquids.... containers pass through lots of different climate's on the way to the other side of the world, temperatures might have an effect on the contents and they could also be more prone to leaking and damaging other items in your consignment. It might be that they are advising that they are not worth the risk to ship or that they might need special packing/protection? They may also be on the list because of the attention they attract from customs, which could result in higher costs of inspection - wooden items for example antique furniture are on the 'items of bio security concern' list, not banned but the inspectors might want to take a look to check out the wood is treated and there are no issues. Ask your mover about specific products if there is something you want to take but aren't sure if you can.

Hope that helps?

Thanks Kirsty - that's incredibly helpful and very kind of you. I'll check that link out and ring Anglo Pacific to talk it through. The changes in temperatures had not occurred to me and now I've thought it through, I don't have enough for a container of my own so perhaps I'm not allowed to in case I ruin someone else's consignment with my lotions and potions...

A plant oil will not be able to reproduce at this end so it won't be a problem.

Ours got here ok.

If you're worried about spillage and ruinage (no a word, but ho hum) of other stuff, pop them into a few zip lock bags.

They should be fine just ensure they are well packed maybe in a tuppaware box.

i don't think removals people really know. One guy told me I couldn't take my goose down duvets because they were feathers!

just list everything honestly, they are looking for live spores, insects organic nasties. So any untreated or dirty things will get fumigated or destroyed.

They say no cane or wicker but we brought cane floor lamps, no problem. They are treated and I cleared the spiders out!

Remember they are dealing with many countries and rush floor mats from the far East are a different proposition from a basket from Ikea.

Archived