Shipping garden tools, mower etc

Laz

I just read threads about making sure outdoor things are cleaned or you could get stuck with a cleaning bill when your shipment gets to Australia. That made me think about our garden tools. I had been going to take them all, including the mower and whipper snipper. Is that a ridiculous idea? Should I be getting rid of them as they will be hard to get really clean.

If you are prepared to put the time in to clean them and have room, why not take them is how I see it.

I could not be bothered to clean all that so we sold it or gave it away.

I would'nt say its a ridiculous idea .. It all depends if you have the time to ensure they are cleaned thoroughly and how confident you are in your cleaning skills .. We didnt bring any gardening items over with us for fear of them being rejected and to be honest it hasn't cost us much money to replace them. it all depends on how confident and meticulous you are at ensuring they are clean .. If they are steamed cleaned , gone over with a tooth comb with jeyes fluid so there is no spec of soil , blade of grass or a grass seed then they should be ok ... Just like bikes or any other outside item .. I think many have been caught out with less obvious items such as Christmas decorations I..e fir cones , and keepsakes such as dried flowers , when packing my keepsakes I noticed one of the Mother's Day cards the kids had made me had seeds glued on it , that could have been costly , so please check everything you are packing ... Good luck with the move

I was going to take my mower until a couple of days ago. I got it out of the shed to use it and thought I'd clean the build up of grass that was stuck to it. As I was scrapping off the grass I couldn't believe the amount of grubs that were living in the dried grass, there were bloody hundreds of them!

Tools yes, easy to clean in bucket of detergent, not Jeyes though I hate the smell;)

Mower, just too hard to get clean really, then my neighbours mower broke down so that was decision made. We shared mine then it was left with her.

we also took planters as they were good ceramic ones and not cheap. Well scrubbed. They did inspect them, the bikes and a few other boxes. No problems with clearance though.

Tools yes, easy to clean in bucket of detergent, not Jeyes though I hate the smell;)

Mower, just too hard to get clean really, then my neighbours mower broke down so that was decision made. We shared mine then it was left with her.

we also took planters as they were good ceramic ones and not cheap. Well scrubbed. They did inspect them, the bikes and a few other boxes. No problems with clearance though.

thats good to know about the planters. I have a couple of large urns which I thought I would have to sell. Oh, except mine are terracotta so more porous than ceramic.

Archived