Anyone already undertaken Dip Childrens Svs - Southport

The Frez Family

Hi There

Still looking into coming over on Student visa (above course intensive 1 year) with sponsorship from year 2. Does anybody know of anyone who has already undertaken this route? I have managed to hook up with people who are about to undertake this study option but am also keen to hear from anyone already on this course or even better, someone who has completed it and successfully moved onto the sponsorship stage.

Hope someone can help. Trying to pull as much info together as want to make decision soon.

Emma:smile:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest carolynr6280

I would be interested to hear from people about this too as i am considering taking this one year course.

Thanks

Carolyn

• 1 month later...
I would be interested to hear from people about this too as i am considering taking this one year course.

Thanks

Carolyn

Hi

Sorry, I've been away from PiO for a while and am just catching up on all the goings on. I see you were enquiring about the Dip Children's Services and wondered if this was the course you ended up enrolling on, as I see you are due to start one in January 09. I, too, am considering this one year fast track course on the Gold Coast and any information you have on that and how long it all took to go through, etc, would be really useful.

Ess

Guest carolynr6280

Hi Ess

I have now enrolled on this course. I will PM you later with the details as i am just about to go to work. Very easy process to go through.

Carolyn

Hi there

I would really like to enquire how you can do a 1 year Diploma fast track? Have you both got qualifications in childcare already?

Reason i ask is i have my Cert III in Childrens Services done in Melbournes Swinburne University and to do the Diploma it takes 3 years full time or a further 2 years if got Cert III. You can do it fast track for a year but thats only if you are employed in the services already.

I would like to think about doing a diploma and am actually moving to the southern Brisbane suburbs so could access the GC training if it was suitable. Dont really want to be studying for any more than a year really as it costs so much money with paying for childcare as well as not earning!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Georgie

Hi Georgie

No, I definitely don't have any 'Child Care' experience (aside from having my son, but that doesn't count in this case!) or indeed qualifications - I'm a Legal PA (but unfortunately they aren't crying out for anyone who can do that!!). The course we are referring to is an intensive course (incorporating both the Cert III, then the Diploma) for the very reason of obtaining qualified personnel quickly to get them into employment sooner. The course comprises of 2 days 9am-4pm in the classroom, 3rd day unpaid work experience in child care facility and on days 4 and 5 you are advised to obtain paid work in this field (up to 20 hrs per week allowed on student visa, I believe) - so you are gaining on-the-job experience throughout the entire year as well, then once qualified you can be sponsored (hopefully!).

They do the Diploma in Children's Services (and Advanced Diploma) as stand-alone for people like yourself who already have the Cert III - qualifying requirements for the Dip are the Cert III, as I'm sure you are aware, and qualifying requirements for the Adv Dip are the Dip. The studying definitely doesn't take longer than a year, and will be less for you anyway as you already have the Cert III.

I completely understand about not wanting to be studying for too long because of the cost of child care - I have those joys to come myself. I don't think I have fully registered how lucky I am at the moment having my Mum look after my son over here (he is in playgroup 4 mornings a week and starts school in September) - I won't have any support network at all when we are there as it'll just be the two of us, but I know it will be worth the hard slog in the end.

Carolyn will be able to advise you more than I can as she is already actually enrolled on the course, but that is the general gist.

If any of that doesn't make sense, let me know :o) !! Happy to help, if I can

Ess

Hi Ess

Thanks for your reply.

Basically it sounds like to fast track i have to get a job in the services whether here or Brisbane. Not easy here i am afraid as they seem to want you available every day. Have not yet seen anything part time for set days. Things may be different in Qld and from research it seems they take child care seriously ans even have their own childcare colleges.

I am actually hoping to work in a school as a teachers aide so am weighing up the pros and cons of doing the dip or a cert in education. If i am lucky i may even get in just on my Cert III.

Anyway good luck with your course (you never know we may meet on the same course).

Bit of a change of career for you !!!

Georgie

Hiya

From what I can gather, you can do the Dip in around 6 months (full time) fast track (as you already have the Cert III) and incorporated within that is the required work experience (for want of a better word). If you want to have a look at the place where Carolyn is going and I'm looking at going, have a look on Imagine Education and hopefully that will tell you what you need to know.

Funnily enough, my ideal role is a teacher as it would enable me to spend as much quality time with my son as possible. In my research for that, I have come across a few teacher's aide courses which you can do via distance learning which may be something to consider as you can still work? I have been thinking of doing just that myself too, although the fast track Dip Children's Services would get me into Oz quicker, although being alone with my son I can't afford to study full time for any longer than a year as, being on a student visa, it will cost an arm and a leg to send him to school. As you can gather, I'm still trying to figure out the best route for us, in the long term!!

Not sure if I am helping or making things more complicated, but the intention is to help :o)

Yes, it most definitely is a complete change of career for me . . although dealing with lawyers and children is pretty much the same thing sometimes LOL!!!!

Good luck to you too, whichever route you end up taking

Ess x

Hi Ess

Just looked at the Imagine course and WOW i can do a dip in just 28 weeks with only about 4 hours a week practical spread over 28 weeks but obviously i would do longer hours and complete the practical in half that time. I could struggle for money just for 6 months and then temp with Select Education or the likes and earn $30 per hour (its about $20 per hour for a Cert III). Sounds good to me.

Cheers

Georgie

Archived