457 to Permanent Transition

rjw

Hi Folks.

New to this site and need some help.

I'm currently on a 457 visa (4 year) which I got granted back in October 2011.

I have worked as a Project Manager my full time working in Australia.

I moved company in November 2013 due to the previous company going broke. So basically from when I started work again there is only 1 year and 11 months left of my current 457 visa.

I understand to transition to permanent (subclass 186 visa) through your employer you have to work with them for 2 years. So I think I am stuck there?

Is there any other options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can apply of for the 186 visa at any time as long as you meet the criteria, prior to two years you would be under direct entry and need a skills assessment, after two years it would be the transition stream and no skills assess required. No need to wait two years though.

Hi, thanks for the responce.

I'm sponspored as a project manager however vetassess will not assess my qualifications to degree level. They will however assess my qualifications to project administrator (which you don't need a degree for), however can I be employed as a project manager now and 186 direct entry into a project administrator role?

The skill requirement for ENS direct entry would be a positive skills assessment in the nominated occupation and at least 3 years relevant skilled work experience.

The position you're being nominated for would have to be comparable to the ANZSCO description for the occupation of Project Administrator. If you have an existing 457 visa as a (construction?)project manager I would suspect that your current role isn't comparable so should you go down this route you'd likely need a change of position/job description.

All the best,

Thanks for your help.

The strange part is this. My 457 visa was granted as a project administrator. But my recent employer nominated me as a construction project manager...which was approved. So I surmise that in the eyes of DIAC, these occupations are comparable.

Thanks for your help.

The strange part is this. My 457 visa was granted as a project administrator. But my recent employer nominated me as a construction project manager...which was approved. So I surmise that in the eyes of DIAC, these occupations are comparable.

Not at all. They have very different descriptions and indicative skill levels.

A change of occupation on a 457 is very common. the DIBP introduced mandatory skills assessments for project administrators (for 457 visas) last year which is the likely reason why your new employer nominated a different occupation rather than make you go through that process. You must have had at least 5 years work experience that was relevant to CPM which meant you met the required skill level for that new occupation.