IELTS Exam in 10 days!!!!

Jules RT

Hi all,

I'm slightly panicking, I've been doing the practice tests on the iPad app for road to IELTS and l seem to be getting 30 out of 40 on the exam test sheets, which isn't bad l guess, BUT I think l need to get 35 out of 40 to be awarded the 8 points l need for each of the sections to get the full 20 points. Can someone correct me here if I'm wrong please?

I am doing the academic paper, as we wish to go to Queensland and this is the one they ask for, l wish it was the general one as I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier. I'm feeling the pressure now as my family are relying on me to get us in!

I'm a radiation Therapist, awaiting my skills assessment from AIR. This will hopefully give me 15 points, I'm 43 so another 15 points here & I've had 7 years experience in my role which gives 10 points, so I'm 20 short argh!!!!

Please could anyone offer me any help and/or advise on having a positive experience and pass mark?

Many thanks,

Jules

Hi Jules

Are you doing it for the first time? If yes then, do not panic because IELTS tests your skills. Reading is hard though, but you need to scan and skim while answering. With listening be careful with three people having a conversation. Try and get all 20 in the first 20. The last ten is tricky but I found it easy. From 21 to 30, I found it difficult but I managed to get 8 in Listening and 8.5 in Reading.

Speaking is very easy. However, you need to answer in a logical way with good vocabs. Structure should be perfect. I got 8.5 again.

Writing is the best part coz you have the question where you have your own answer. Part1 is purely mathematical and your job tells me that mathematics had been one of your good subjects in high school. Dominic has a perfect site: http://www.dcielts.com/

I used this site to get 20 points and consequently got QLD SS.

Cheers

Thomas

Hi all,

I'm slightly panicking, I've been doing the practice tests on the iPad app for road to IELTS and l seem to be getting 30 out of 40 on the exam test sheets, which isn't bad l guess, BUT I think l need to get 35 out of 40 to be awarded the 8 points l need for each of the sections to get the full 20 points. Can someone correct me here if I'm wrong please?

I am doing the academic paper, as we wish to go to Queensland and this is the one they ask for, l wish it was the general one as I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier. I'm feeling the pressure now as my family are relying on me to get us in!

I'm a radiation Therapist, awaiting my skills assessment from AIR. This will hopefully give me 15 points, I'm 43 so another 15 points here & I've had 7 years experience in my role which gives 10 points, so I'm 20 short argh!!!!

Please could anyone offer me any help and/or advise on having a positive experience and pass mark?

Many thanks,

Jules

Hi, I needed to get 8's too and have finally done it on my third attempt!!! All I can say is practice practice practice! I wrote essay after essay and lots of reading papers over and over again! There are lots of practice papers on the internet. I would recommend that you print some off and practice filling them in. It's a very long hard day on the test day and I found it a lot harder than I thought it would be. Best of luck and let us know how you got on!!! Nat

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your advice, I have checked out the website and will be returning to it tomorrow.

In answer to your question, yes this will be my first time doing the IELTS and hopefully last!

How did you go about getting state sponsorship to Queensland? This is my other thought to gain 5 points and then get my husband to do a skills assessment on his job (New Zealand Joiner/Carpenter) to gain another 5 points, leaving only 10 to get from IELTS.

Thanks,

Jules

Archived