My Accounting Opportunity

Shiny76

Hi All

I am working as an assistant manager -Finanace and Accounting with 15 years experience in a multinational firm, I have got a diploma in IFR from tha ACCA beside my bachelor degree. Thinking of migrating with family to OZ.

Learned that accounting market is competitive in OZ, do I still have a chance with my qualifications? or shoudl I cancel the whole idea of moving to OZ?

P.S

I can change my career and work in any profession that gaurantee a suitable living in OZ.

Really appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like your circumstances may be similar to mine. I have an accounting degree but have bit yet finished my ACCA professional qualification. The degree got me the visa which I find strange but took advantage of it.

You are correct that there is no shortage of accountants here. It is easy to assume that there would be since the profession is in the SOL. It took me about six weeks to find my first temp job, which lasted two months, then another six weeks to find a permanent job.

Unfortunately ACCA is not widely known over here but you will find there are other expats hiring that will know all about it. That's what happened to me (my boss is English) I guess it's just luck how long it takes for that to happen.

The really frustrating thing about all this is that CPA is a very easy qualification to obtain so it is expected that anyone with two years experience would be qualified. I had one interview with a guy that had moved from India and studied their equivalent of ACA/ICAEW then did CPA here and was amazed how easy it was in comparison. He said he did no more than a couple of days study for each exam and they are are all open book. Pass rates of 80% support that too. Anyway he said he wasn't too concerned about my situation and that he regarded as a part qual ACCA as superior to a fully qualified CPA. The offered me the job but my current employer gave me an offer at the same time and I accepted that one.

The upside of this is that a devalued qualification results in very average accountants. Once you get that opportunity you will most likely stand out as an excellent worker. I have a couple of friends here who are also accountants and from the uk and they all the same. Except the one guy I know who is a finance manager who gets so frustrated by his teams lack of initiative.

Accountant.

Can you pass a skills assessment? As you are not an accountant by looks of it. Your chances of getting a visa and then getting work in Australia will be significantly enhanced by actually completing an accounting qualification and gaining membership.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Grahamffc,

Any chance of PM to help me out. I am also in a similar boat to you, PQ ACCA, have BSc (Open) with Accounting/Finance/Law/Management modules and started MBA.

I have seen a post somewhere on the forum stating the poster's wife had an accounting degree but was assessed by CPA as an insufficient coverage.

I would be grateful if you could PM me with detail as to your own Degree, just so I can compare with the syllabi covered in mine.

many thanks

Archived