Teaching. Pre-Primary

Selina Smith

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread and likely to be the first of many :wink:

I am currently doing my PGCE in Early Years and hope to start the application process as soon as I'm qualified which will be July this year.

Going to try and go it alone without using an agent and hoping to be the main applicant on a 189 visa (Pre-primary teacher) with my husband and son (3 years old).

We have previously lived in Australia on a WHV and my sister is living in Melbourne but on a continual student visa and she is attempting sponsorship with her current employers but thinks it will take a while.

Just wanted someone to confirm I'm going about things the right way and that I actual stand a chance of getting a visa as we are desperate to start our Aussie dream.

So the plan of action is:

1)Take IELTS and hope for a high band to get the 20 points.

2)Get my qualifications assessed by AITSL- I'm a bit worried here because I started my Higher education on a HND (2years) in Animal Care, did a 'Top up degree (1 year) in Applied Animal Studies and now I'm on the PGCE Early Years (1 year). So this does total 4 years worth of university education BUT my degree isn't in education. Are AITSL going to recognise the HND and will it be a problem that my degree is a bit random????

3) Once all the paperwork is back fill in EOI.

4) Hopefully get invited to apply for visa.

In total I've worked out I have 65 points 20 IETLS, 30 age, 15 degree. I don't have any work experience that I can get points for.

I would also apply for state sponsorship if I had a better chance of getting over but am aiming for Melbourne and surrounding area because of my sister and I have lots of friends there already.

Any suggestions, advice or even a thumbs up that I'm on the right track will be great!!

Thanks in advance xxxxx

Guest Linda21

I'm applying for the same occupation but I'm a bit worried about your qualifications. They seem to want either a 4 year degree or a 3 year degree and a PGCE. You'd best check to see if they would accept the HND before you go any further. Contact Go Matilda who are very helpful and will give loads of free advice. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread and likely to be the first of many :wink:

I am currently doing my PGCE in Early Years and hope to start the application process as soon as I'm qualified which will be July this year.

Going to try and go it alone without using an agent and hoping to be the main applicant on a 189 visa (Pre-primary teacher) with my husband and son (3 years old).

We have previously lived in Australia on a WHV and my sister is living in Melbourne but on a continual student visa and she is attempting sponsorship with her current employers but thinks it will take a while.

Just wanted someone to confirm I'm going about things the right way and that I actual stand a chance of getting a visa as we are desperate to start our Aussie dream.

So the plan of action is:

1)Take IELTS and hope for a high band to get the 20 points.

2)Get my qualifications assessed by AITSL- I'm a bit worried here because I started my Higher education on a HND (2years) in Animal Care, did a 'Top up degree (1 year) in Applied Animal Studies and now I'm on the PGCE Early Years (1 year). So this does total 4 years worth of university education BUT my degree isn't in education. Are AITSL going to recognise the HND and will it be a problem that my degree is a bit random????

3) Once all the paperwork is back fill in EOI.

4) Hopefully get invited to apply for visa.

In total I've worked out I have 65 points 20 IETLS, 30 age, 15 degree. I don't have any work experience that I can get points for.

I would also apply for state sponsorship if I had a better chance of getting over but am aiming for Melbourne and surrounding area because of my sister and I have lots of friends there already.

Any suggestions, advice or even a thumbs up that I'm on the right track will be great!!

Thanks in advance xxxxx

You may well have a problem , as whilst your education does indeed add up to the required four years of tertiary education, your intial qualification is in animal care.

I can tell you straightaway that a state like NSW would reject you when it comes to teacher registration. Simply because they require a certain number of related units in the original degree.

As for the other states, well they will look at your degree and investigate whether it has any English, maths or other units related to education.

The original degree does not necessarily have to relate education, but animal care is a bit random.

However, it will intially be down to AITSL as to whether you meet the skills requirement to be a pre-primary teacher. After that you would need to find out which state would register you.

Perhaps you should get some teaching experience in the UK first?

To be honest we will have hundreds of graduates that finish their course at the same time as you and they will already have knowledge of the early years here and what is required. You want to be located in Melbourne, again that is a prime area that everyone will want jobs in.

I am not sure I understand the reservations about your degree that others have mentioned, three year degree and a PGCE seem to be fine and that is what you seem to have ... some degrees do provide an interim qualification after two years. I am surprised teaching does not require work experience though, I did not realise that. It is very doubtful you would secure a state sponsorship without any experience and work once you get here will be hard. Although I wonder if you did this course for a visa, rather than for a career option, in which case presumably you won't care about that.

I am not sure I understand the reservations about your degree that others have mentioned, three year degree and a PGCE seem to be fine and that is what you seem to have ... some degrees do provide an interim qualification after two years. I am surprised teaching does not require work experience though, I did not realise that. It is very doubtful you would secure a state sponsorship without any experience and work once you get here will be hard. Although I wonder if you did this course for a visa, rather than for a career option, in which case presumably you won't care about that.

The issue is that to teach primary/early childhood, the initial degree should have some relevance to the curriculum. Now for example, the Northern Territory will possibly allow it as they don't have such stringent requirements, but I can state as a fact that the NSW teaching registration board (who are notoriously strict) will not. I can't say for Victoria, but it is something that may be an issue.

As you said the OP would be much better off with some experience. Teaching experience may well help the fact that the degree is not related to any of the subjects studied in the curriculum.

The issue is that to teach primary/early childhood, the initial degree should have some relevance to the curriculum. Now for example, the Northern Territory will possibly allow it as they don't have such stringent requirements, but I can state as a fact that the NSW teaching registration board (who are notoriously strict) will not. I can't say for Victoria, but it is something that may be an issue.

As you said the OP would be much better off with some experience. Teaching experience may well help the fact that the degree is not related to any of the subjects studied in the curriculum.

I was commenting on getting the visa / skills assessment rather than getting registered. I just wonder if OP is even interested in getting registered. If teaching is a genuine career choice then getting experience in UK first makes a lot of sense.

Guest Linda21

Have you checked the sponsorship criteria for the different states. The minimum I could find is 1 years experience in SA. The rest seem to look for a minimum of 2-3 years work experience. Let me know if you know differently. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your responses. Lots of information to look into :-)

I wanted to apply for a 189 ASAP because of my age, I'll be 32 in July this year so didn't want to lose the points applying after my 33rd Birthday in July 2015. The plan was to get the 189 while I had the points to apply but stay in the UK for a couple of years to get the experience required to register with the different states.

I know NSW and Queensland require the degree to be in Education so they are out of the question.

When I was looking at the AITSL it seemed the assessment was all based on academic qualifications and work experience is something they can verify but it doesn't actually count towards the assessment????

Hope or someone can shed some light on the situation, thanks for the replies so far x

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody. .its my first time ere...

I really need help for AITSl assessment

Im currently pursuing my BEd n on the site it says STP of 45 days is required. .but all the universities in india only provide 40 days of STP ...

Can somebody plz let me know..how one can over come this problem..I can do the extra 5 days of STP and get a letter from my university ..vill dis help?

As for other docs I am all prepared for them..

Plzzz plz somebody just let me know how does a person who has their degrees from india get positive assessment for teaching profession

All help will be gratefully accepted

Archived