return airfare needed for UK entry?

muminoz

hi everyone.

I am going back to the UK for more than 12 months with my son who currently only has his aussie pp. I was going to apply for his UK one when we get back. does anyone know if he will be allowed entry with me without a valid return airfare? as flights generally are only valid for 12 months I didn't want to waste money on a return fare. but not sure if it is a visa requirement for an australian entering the UK to have a return airfare even if it is a dependant travelling with a parent? (he's 22months old).

Thanks

I'd be getting him a passport before you go! It will save a lot of hassle! He will have his passport stamped for 6 months visit only and won't be entitled to services. The cost of passports from abroad has just come down so it's not as big a whammy on the pocket as it was.

Thanks quoll. I was hoping to not have to do that because of time but it's lookin like the easier option in the long run. Have posted this question somewhere else but I have to send my passport off with his application too right?

Not that I know of. My husband came over with a one way ticket (and a valid longer stay visa) and it was fine.

Just a thought but will there be professionals who can sign off on his passport application if you do it in the UK? Or for you? We had problems as we moved to a new area and no one there had known me long enough (as his parent and as he was so young it was on me they signed off on). Ended up I had to make a 5 hour trip to get an GP friend to sign off on the application.

What kind of longer-stay visa?

A valid one ;)

He didn't enter on a tourist visa. It might be different to have a return ticket if entering on the 6 month tourist visa. I'd expect it to be similar to Aus though and so long as proof of funds can be shown it should be ok.

OP - I'm sure the jnfo is on the UK gov immigration website

Archived