Whinging pom

paul1977

Whinging has its place.

My wife had a big pop at Transperth for the crap bus stops near where we live - she doesnt drive and it was a 40 minute walk to the nearest. So set about complaining to them. Eventually they agreed to review it. Next thing we have a bus stop. Now, not only can she get about a lot easier, but we see lots of kids using it to go to school who would otherwise have been taken by their parents.

She then started having a pop at Transperth again because all of the bus stops are just poles sticking out the ground and no shelters and many are just on the side of the road so dangerous for drivers. Result - they have agreed and a couple of months ago started road works to put proper pull in areas off the road and are fitting a fair few with proper shelters.

Nobody else had complained and if she hadnt, we would not have the improvement

Good on her but I don't see that as "whinging". To me whinging is more inane and pointless. Your wife thought that something wasn't up to scratch and pointed out it should be improved

Dear Paul,

I read your post this morning and was moved. Your endless negativity, sweeping generalisations and constant misery are an inspiration. Not just in this post but in many more before. Yes, I thought, today I change. Today is the day I'm going to right some wrongs. If Paul can do it then so can I. No more contentment, enjoyment of the sunshine and easy way of life. Today I'm going to do battle. Let people know where they're going wrong. Where they're letting me down. How they should be. After all, who knows this better than me? They just need to ask. No, strike that. They just need to listen.

So forth I went with my critical eye and cutting tongue. But dammit Paul, Australian really let me down. Yet again. Public transport ran smoothly. My colleagues made me laugh. My first coffee of the day hit me right where it needed to. My clients all turned up and seemed grateful for my help. My lunch was scrumptious. No matter where I looked I couldn't find fault. There were no wrongs to right. I couldn't emulate your mastery at fault finding. I failed.

But on reflection, it occurred to my that I've had a good day. A happy day. And I'm quite likely to have one again tomorrow. You don't sound like this is true for you. So, I hope that your path takes you somewhere that doesn't cause so much ire. Or a place that really appreciates your particular brand of critical reflection. And that it brings you some good days.

Yours cheerfully and unrepentantly,

The People of Australia (circa 1994)

Who knows ..!!