Balance of family test?

paulhug

Hi Guys

I was just looking at the contributory parent visas, for my parents, and the conditions. Does anyone know if the "balance of family test" apply to all parent visas. We are going on a business owner 163 visa (temp 4 year) and i am concerned that my parents are going to miss my kids soooooooo much. They are the only grandchildren they have seen grow up (they have others but they are miles and miles away). They are 73 and 75, have 4 kids (only i will be in oz) own their own house and are keen to "give it a go" in Australia.

Is there a way i can get them there??? Or can they visit for say 6 months at a time??

Paul

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Guys

I was just looking at the contributory parent visas, for my parents, and the conditions. Does anyone know if the "balance of family test" apply to all parent visas. We are going on a business owner 163 visa (temp 4 year) and i am concerned that my parents are going to miss my kids soooooooo much. They are the only grandchildren they have seen grow up (they have others but they are miles and miles away). They are 73 and 75, have 4 kids (only i will be in oz) own their own house and are keen to "give it a go" in Australia.

Is there a way i can get them there??? Or can they visit for say 6 months at a time??

Paul

Im sure that gill (Gollywobbler) will pick this up! She is the font of all knowledge re CPVs. Pretty sure that the BOF test applys to all tho

Guest cazbeckham

Hi Paul

To get your parents over they would need to meet the balance of family test meaning that if they have four children two of them would need to be in Australia see here Family - Visas & Immigration

Also you would need to be a Permanent Resident and have been settled in Australia and settled is deemed to be 2 years.

But like my Daughter Johatts has said I am sure Gill (Gollywobbler) will pick up on this thread soon and point you in the right direction.

In the meantime you could read booklet 3 Parent Migration Booklet

Best of luck

Caz

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Guys

Paul

Hello, Paul

Personally I find your question to be the single most difficult and painful question on the whole planet because my own beloved mother spent 13 years trapped - completely trapped - by the Balance of Family Test.

On the facts that you describe, for the moment at least the Balance of Family Test would trap your parents just as surely as it trapped my mother.

The subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa could offer a possible alternative. Would your Parents be able to afford a sc405 visa instead? Please see here:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

If so then go for it. I haven't a clue about the tax-angle but I know a British couple who have decided that an IR visa is actually better for them than a Contributory Parent visa would be because the tax-breaks for a wealthy Temporary Resident in Oz are better than they are for a Permanent Resident, I am told.

If an IR visa is not possible, join the club! My mother could not have afforded one either!

Long stay tourist visas are totally discretionary. Do not make any assumptions about do-ability either for now or for the future. They do NOT representany sort of "alternative" method of migration to Oz.

Sing out if I can help further.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived