Moving back to uk need advice re shipping

amandajz

Hi we are moving back to the UK in September to be close to my family. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good and not so expensive shipping companies! The prospect of packing the whole house is quite daunting and I know we won't be able to take everything so just wondered if anyone had already "been there, done that" so to speak and had any good recommendations on what to perhaps not take and what is a good idea to take! Thanks! :)

We are moving back and i think it all depends on if the stuff you have is worth shipping (financially) to us it seemed easier to sell most things and just return with all our sentimental things and a few things we bought here that are well worth shipping. We are using Grace they seem to be ok so far, id say if you can start again and nothing is overly expensive then sell sell sell! we have sold our entire house in two weeks its actually been quite liberating almost like starting a new chapter. We are sharing a container and as we are moving into my mums rental property we dont need our stuff straight away and can take time to save up and get ourselves sorted again.

Hi we are moving back to the UK in September to be close to my family. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good and not so expensive shipping companies! The prospect of packing the whole house is quite daunting and I know we won't be able to take everything so just wondered if anyone had already "been there, done that" so to speak and had any good recommendations on what to perhaps not take and what is a good idea to take! Thanks! :)

hi,i`ve used OSS before and they were reliable and not too pricey...cheers

Hi

We had four companies quote, they were similar in price, and we flat packed everything we could and reduced our 3 bed house contents enough to fit in a 20ft container even though all the companies told us we were over. So we took pretty much everything! The only things we didn't take were things we needed whilst we camped the last three weeks. We flew home with Emirates and managed to bring back 2 large suitcases, 2 medium suitcases and 3 cricket sports bags in the hold, 4 cabin suitcases and two laptop bags. The removals companies all recommended we let them do the packing for insurance reasons, we even unpacked some stuff from the garage so they could pack it again so it was covered. They all want to sell you their insurance but we ended up choosing Letton Percival in the UK to insure - much cheaper. The packing was easy, and we booked council clean for two months in a row to get rid of all the stuff we weren't taking. The most boring bit was going though replacement cost of the household goods to do our valuation estimate for the insurance.

I suggest you get a removals quote and they will tell you how much stuff they think you have then you can start thinking about how much you want to pay and what you are prepared to ditch. I think I remember the garden sets are way cheaper in Aus and worth shipping.