Australia Quarantine fees

BobPetairUK

It is terrible what they have done. Did you sign the petition below. There use to be a loop hole to get in to the UK without the quarantine it's years ago now and I bet they have closed it, otherwise if it worked the opposite way it would have been great

Hi,

The most important thing is to get them over there safely, that's the price, so we paid it. Certainly wouldn't take the risk trying to do it any other way and end up either having to pay more or them not getting in at all.. Just a terrible exploitation of pet owners that can't bring themselves to be parted from their animals really.. Australia is the ONLY country left that has this level of costs and restrictions on the import of animals..

:wacko:

It's going to cost 8000 to get our 2 springers to oz so having to look at re homing, absolutely heart broken beyond words

Sorry to hear that. I can certainly relate to you on this, it was a difficult decision for us too (£7500), it could've gone either way, just couldn't part with them in the end, we can't afford a car at the other end now though.. Absolutely extortionate prices.. :sad:

It's going to cost 8000 to get our 2 springers to oz so having to look at re homing, absolutely heart broken beyond words

2000 for the quarantine (prices have risen).

1000 for the vet bills?

shipping should be under 5k for 2 springers? What did petairuk quote for that?

We bit the bullet and would rather make sacrifices eg an old car and bring the pets.i hope you find a way to bring them.

That was with petair I can't find my email from them but it was around that price. They are mother and daughter as we bred, now 9 and 11 years old and such a big part of our life so really hope we can find a way too. Worries me that our oldest is a very anxious dog and that we are moving to Perth also and quarantine is Sydney x

Guest The Pom Queen
That was with petair I can't find my email from them but it was around that price. They are mother and daughter as we bred, now 9 and 11 years old and such a big part of our life so really hope we can find a way too. Worries me that our oldest is a very anxious dog and that we are moving to Perth also and quarantine is Sydney x

It is the new quarantine fees that have bumped everything up. Unfortunately this is out of the shippers hands. Have you signed the petition Bob started. Petair is the best out there and he is a vet so they would be in very safe hands.

It is the new quarantine fees that have bumped everything up. Unfortunately this is out of the shippers hands. Have you signed the petition Bob started. Petair is the best out there and he is a vet so they would be in very safe hands.

Hi,

The quarantine fees seemed to cancel each other out, in so far as the quarantine time was cut to a third, 10 days instead of 30, but they trebled the nightly fee from approx $50 per dog per night to nearly $150 per dog per night.. Don't really see how they can justify trebling the overnight fee. As you said it's not the shippers, they don't have control over the Govt pricing and regs. Same as DVHM14, we won't be living any where near a quarantine centre, so will have to pay another internal shipping fee after the 10 days quarantine is finished.. :frown:

I'm sure there is a quarantine centre in Perth... There's 3 that i'm aware of; Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.. Ours are going to Sydney because we'll be in Queensland where there isn't one at all.. :chatterbox:

The rise in fees is extortionate but it will not have made much difference in this case compared to 30 days previously. (maybe a few hundred dollars).

I guess springers are a bit bigger than my dog. The extra cost to ship 2 dogs from Sydney to Perth will have no doubt added a large chunk to the cost. :(

Of course, you should earn more in Oz and £8k may be more like £4k comparatively speaking so you could no doubt get a 0% card and pay it off over time.

This trail of posts makes me really sad. It is an awful position people are in. DVHM14 you are in a terrible position which is made worse by DAFF putting the fees up and then closing Perth station so instead of benefiting from the cheaper rates going to Perth, it is now more expensive as you have to go to Sydney and then Perth. By the time you are all done, it will be all of £7500, which is a stack of money for sure.

Maybe when they move the quarantine station to Melbourne in 2015, they may bring the prices down. DAFF essentially worked out what 30 day stay would cost and then charged this to the 10 day stay - which really is not hugely fair.

I am really sorry for you and your dogs, but dont know any better way around this

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm sure there is a quarantine centre in Perth... There's 3 that i'm aware of; Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.. Ours are going to Sydney because we'll be in Queensland where there isn't one at all.. :chatterbox:

You may find it is cheaper to fly with your pet than use JetPets or Dogtainers etc. for example when we moved up to Cairns they wanted something ridiculous like $800 to ship my whippet up. We ended up putting him on the same flight as us with Virgin and it cost us $50. http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/special-needs-assistance/pets/#fees-and-charges