457 - Divorced and Marriage in Australia

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me?

I've been Australia 3 years on a 457 visa. My now ex-spouse was on my visa as a dependent.

We got divorced which was a lengthy process. (She's now got her own sponsorship for a 457.)

If I want to be with someone else who is from outside of Australia, what is the process to follow to

apply taking I came over with someone and got divorced in Australia? Is it just a matter of applying to

immigration for having a spouse/dependent?

If we get married where is the best place? In, or outside of Australia?

I don't want to go about this the wrong way, and mess things up for both of us not able to be together.

Advice appreciated and Thank you in advance.

Well to be added onto your visa you would need to show you were a defacto or married couple. As they I'm guessing can't live with you without being added to your visa then the defacto part is out.

If you are planning on marrying anyway then that would be the way to go.

Your best bet would be to have a chat to a migration agent though to double check you get everything right.

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me?

I've been Australia 3 years on a 457 visa. My now ex-spouse was on my visa as a dependent.

We got divorced which was a lengthy process. (She's now got her own sponsorship for a 457.)

If I want to be with someone else who is from outside of Australia, what is the process to follow to

apply taking I came over with someone and got divorced in Australia? Is it just a matter of applying to

immigration for having a spouse/dependent?

If we get married where is the best place? In, or outside of Australia?

I don't want to go about this the wrong way, and mess things up for both of us not able to be together.

Advice appreciated and Thank you in advance.

You would need your employer to agree to "sponsor" them being added to the 457 visa, you would also need to be either married or defacto. It doesn't sound like you are either of those at the moment, so I think you would need to get married first. The location of your wedding is not relevant for 457 visa purposes.