WA Schools not recognising PGCE Teaching qualification

Keefo

We submitted our 189 last week, my wife is a Maths teacher with 10 years experience. Whilst researching we came across the following table of salaries on the WA dept of education website:

http://det.wa.edu.au/careers/detcms/...=14081653#toc2

From what we have read in various places we believed that she would be at around level 2.9 of this structure but have also heard that TRBWA don't recognise the PGCE teaching qualification (even though AITSL do) and also that they place teachers basically where they want on the scale irrespective of past experience.

Can any teachers shed any light on this for us?

Thanks,

Keith :)

Cannot help with WA but do know that qualifications have to be a four year degree, either four year teaching degree or another degree and post grad diploma in teaching. My son teaches maths and science and he has a science degree and post grad diploma. but he is in Victoria.

Hope that someone in WA can assist with your queries re wages etc. Each State is different in pay scales and tenure I believe.

I am in WA and the TRBWA certainly do recognise the PGCE, as long as it is university based and the correct number of supervised teaching days have been completed.

Your wife should not have an issue with the pay scale. However, do remember that she does not have Australian teaching experience (is not accustomed to the curriculum here or the Australian Professional Standards) and therefore may understandably be placed a little lower.

I am in WA and the TRBWA certainly do recognise the PGCE, as long as it is university based and the correct number of supervised teaching days have been completed.

Your wife should not have an issue with the pay scale. However, do remember that she does not have Australian teaching experience (is not accustomed to the curriculum here or the Australian Professional Standards) and therefore may understandably be placed a little lower.

Thanks for that, are you a Teacher?

For her 10 years experience at a guess what would you think she would be on approx.

Keith

10 years experience in Victoria would put her on about $75000 going upto about $90000 in the next few years.

It required me to get every uk school I had taught at to answer specific questions on headed paper to send back to the education dept before they paid me anything above a graduate wage ($50,000). It took a few months, but I was back paid.

Im guessing WA would have something similar.

10 years experience in Victoria would put her on about $75000 going upto about $90000 in the next few years.

It required me to get every uk school I had taught at to answer specific questions on headed paper to send back to the education dept before they paid me anything above a graduate wage ($50,000). It took a few months, but I was back paid.

Im guessing WA would have something similar.

In WA, three years experience provides a salary of $75 000. Western Australia pays far higher salaries than Victoria.

I believe the OP's wife will be on a similar pay scale to an Australian teacher of the same experience, but as I said perhaps a little less to begin with.

I live and teach in WA and whilst we have high salaries, our schools have been hit terribly by ferocious funding cuts. That's a whole other story.

In WA, three years experience provides a salary of $75 000. Western Australia pays far higher salaries than Victoria.

I believe the OP's wife will be on a similar pay scale to an Australian teacher of the same experience, but as I said perhaps a little less to begin with.

I live and teach in WA and whilst we have high salaries, our schools have been hit terribly by ferocious funding cuts. That's a whole other story.

How long have you been out there or are you Australian?

Not up to scratch on abbreviation on here so what does OP's wife mean.

Do you think for 10 years experience she would be on a little higher that $75k then & when you mention the funding cuts does that make it harder to find a job or just to get the deserved salary?

Thanks

There's some great information here and really helpful as I have a PGCE and am off in September to WA. I fully expected that I would go in at the bottom of the payscale as I'd be in a new country. Does anyone have thoughts or info on the WA Country or Remote Teaching programs and what the initial steps are to register to teach?

I know about WACOT and the Police Checks but any other information would be appreciated.

How long have you been out there or are you Australian?

Not up to scratch on abbreviation on here so what does OP's wife mean.

Do you think for 10 years experience she would be on a little higher that $75k then & when you mention the funding cuts does that make it harder to find a job or just to get the deserved salary?

Thanks

She would be much higher than $75 000 with 10 years experience, but like I indicated, there is a possibility she may not be quite on a par salary wise with Aussie teachers with 10 years experience.

It is hard to find to find jobs, however, for secondary teachers the prospects are currently good. This is simply because the year 7's will transition to high school for the very first time in 2015. This means there is a greater demand for high school teachers. This is especially so in science, maths and design and technology. This also means a lot of primary teachers are undertaking short courses to enable them to teach lower secondary.

I have been here many years and as such I am Australian and British - dual nationality.

The funding cuts have resulted in many EA's losing their jobs and being redeployed. Many teachers have had the same experience and programs in schools have either disappeared or been considerably reduced.

There's some great information here and really helpful as I have a PGCE and am off in September to WA. I fully expected that I would go in at the bottom of the payscale as I'd be in a new country. Does anyone have thoughts or info on the WA Country or Remote Teaching programs and what the initial steps are to register to teach?

I know about WACOT and the Police Checks but any other information would be appreciated.

http://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=159584

http://det.wa.edu.au/careers/detcms/navigation/teachers-and-school-leaders/applying-for-teaching-positions/remote-teaching-service/

The above links will help you plan for the remote service or flying squad. Country school teachers are sourced from the general fixed term teaching pool and independent school pools.

Be aware that over two thirds of government schools are now independent, this means that they can recruit their own staff via merit select. They advertise teaching pools from June onwards.

Schools that are not yet independent do not advertise, but staffing in central office send off cv's of possible candidates from the fixed term teaching pool to these schools once vacancies are identified.

Once you have teacher registration, make sure to apply to the fixed term pool and also keep a close eye for all the independent government schools that will also advertise their positions and teaching pools.

Private school will also advertise from June for 2015.

Remote teaching has numerous financial benefits such as free housing, power and flights back to Perth.The salaries are also higher. The conditions are very different to anything that you would have experienced.

http://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=159584

http://det.wa.edu.au/careers/detcms/navigation/teachers-and-school-leaders/applying-for-teaching-positions/remote-teaching-service/

The above links will help you plan for the remote service or flying squad. Country school teachers are sourced from the general fixed term teaching pool and independent school pools.

Be aware that over two thirds of government schools are now independent, this means that they can recruit their own staff via merit select. They advertise teaching pools from June onwards.

Schools that are not yet independent do not advertise, but staffing in central office send off cv's of possible candidates from the fixed term teaching pool to these schools once vacancies are identified.

Once you have teacher registration, make sure to apply to the fixed term pool and also keep a close eye for all the independent government schools that will also advertise their positions and teaching pools.

Private school will also advertise from June for 2015.

Remote teaching has numerous financial benefits such as free housing, power and flights back to Perth.The salaries are also higher. The conditions are very different to anything that you would have experienced.

Thanks for your help.

If my wife got registered with WA then would she be able apply for jobs at these independent schools whilst still in the UK then?

Had a quick look at that remote schools website, are they in desert land or do these places still have shops etc and are some near the coast line

Archived