De Facto, Last minute touches

Rebbecca

Hi all!

I am about to lodge my defacto visa on the 1st of May. We have a pretty complicated story but have been told that we should meet the requirements.

Would really appreciate if anyone could answer my questions and I'd be happy to give advice too :)

How long will it take to get a CO?

Do you have to complete a form 80 before lodging your application or just when the CO contacts you?

How long was your personal statements? I also typed mine and I'll get it signed by a JP soon.

Do you have to send page 1 - 7? or just 7 on wards?

Did you use paperclips? or how did you organize the paperwork?

Why is this so bloody stressful?!

Sorry that I have so many questions, I just want it to be perfect before I send it.

Thank you for reading :)

How long will it take to get a CO? Depends. Usually within a few weeks, sometimes a few days, sometimes a bit longer.

Do you have to complete a form 80 before lodging your application or just when the CO contacts you? If its part of the application, I'd submit with the rest of it. The only things I didn't not submit with my application were my UK police check and medical as these are requested by CO once assigned, usually about 3 months into the application.

How long was your personal statements? 3 pages of A4 typed. I didn't get mine witnessed (offshore application).

Do you have to send page 1 - 7? or just 7 on wards? 1-7 of what? 47SP? I just sent in the actual application forms was all.

Did you use paperclips? or how did you organize the paperwork? Just put it all in a pile. I put application forms on top, then BC, wedding cert etc next, then the rest. They specifically say not to use folders, staples or clips. Your CO will sift through it all.

Thank you very much for your help.

I've been looking through the forum and it says that it can take more than 6 months to get a CO which is odd..

It doesn't say that you need to complete the form 80 but I have read on here that people have sent it in too. I'm getting confused because different people are saying different things I just wanted it clear.

Thank you very much for your help.

I've been looking through the forum and it says that it can take more than 6 months to get a CO which is odd..

It doesn't say that you need to complete the form 80 but I have read on here that people have sent it in too. I'm getting confused because different people are saying different things I just wanted it clear.

Look at it this way, if you don't submit it and its required, your CO will request it.

As for 6 month to get a CO, is this for a partner visa? On shore or off shore? Off shore its not that long, on shore it may well be.

1. I never appeared to get a CO

2. I lodged my form 80 before

3. My personal statement was about a page

4. I sent everything as far as I remember

5. I think I just did a pile

6. Chill out - I made a couple of errors I realised and still had it granted within weeks. It's not a test - just fill in best you can do.

I didn't even know the form 80 existed until today! I've done months of research and completely missed this out. Just more stress really..

It's a de facto visa and it is onshore.

On shore does often take much longer to get a CO. And current wait time is running at about 13 months from lodging to grant.

Form 80 is an on shore thing I think. Send it in with your application.

We applied offshore (in London) so I am not sure if the requirements are a bit different but I assume things are mostly the same. Also, we did a paper based application as the online application option came after we had lodged - not sure how that will affect your lodgement of things though.

We lodged 18 Nov 13 and were assigned a CO on 28 Jan 14. In London the current processing time is 8-9 months for a partner visa and it seems from threads I have read that about 2-3 months for a CO is about the normal waiting time. Sorry I dont know the waiting times for onshore but from what I have seen on threads here the processing time is 13-18 months so it might be a longer wait for a CO.

Do you have to complete a form 80 before lodging your application or just when the CO contacts you?

From what I remember the application only said to supply a Form 80 when requested so I never lodged one and our CO has never asked for one. If you dont do one, then its not going to delay your application as your CO will simply ask you to provide it (we were asked for additional information relating to my Italian passport - I am Aussie and have dual citizenship - and were given 28 days to comply with the request so you will have time to provide anything they ask for).

How long was your personal statements? I also typed mine and I'll get it signed by a JP soon.

Mine was typed and almost 5 pages (I have a tendency to "waffle" as my partner calls it :P) while his was 3 pages. Neither was witnessed by a JP and were simply signed and dated by us as the website/instruction booklet said it didnt have to be signed by a JP.

I assume you mean the instruction pages of the application forms right? If so, then no, we didnt send them in and simply kept them with our copy of the signed/completed forms and additional documentation (in case anything got lost we had copies of our own at home - which will eventually be thrown out/shredded when we get the originals back). We did however include the index/checklist pages as it was mentioned that they should be included (we also did our own index of all paperwork included).

We lodged ours in a ring binder separated with coloured tabs numbered 1 - X and a covering letter with a paper clip to hold the covering letter to the ring binder. The ring binder had our index on top, their index underneath and then the applications and supporting documents etc separated under individual tabs in order of the documents requested in the checklist on the instruction pages of the applications. We also did a few "comments" on the checklist to explain the documents that we were enclosing if the title wasnt self explanatory (for example some of our supporting documentation needed explaining and I found it easier to do it on the index page where it was easy to see).

Yep, totally agree with this statement and it is stressful - well it was for me/us as I am quite pedantic and like things to be perfect and precise and we probably included way more than was needed but its better to have too much than not enough. We also gave copies of everything and not originals as we didnt want to lose anything and our CO hasnt complained or said anything needed to be originals. We did however get all birth certificates, copy passports etc (for him, me and our two kids) certified by a solicitor but I have read conflicting information that says they do/dont have to be certified so I just went and got them certified to be safe (I work in a law firm so it wasnt hard to do but it can be expensive if you dont have an "in" with someone who is happy to certify it all for you and you have to pay).

It is a pain in the a** to have to do and they want so much information but the time it takes to put it all together (not to mention the long wait) is worth it in the end when you get the "all ok" and can start a new life in Oz.

Good luck with the application and getting everything lodged - it will be fine in the end and there shouldnt be anything you do/dont include that cant be fixed/lodged after the CO has looked at your file.

:)

When I lodged my onshore application I supplied a pile of papers with an index - the 47SP came first, then the 40SP, then official docs such as birth certificates and then everything else. I didn't use paper clips, staples or anything else as I'd read that everything gets scanned and wanted to keep that process as easy as possible.

After I lodged I got a 'Roadmap' document with my acknowledgement, and this said go do Form 80 if not already done.

I never heard about a CO, until I got my grant letter.

-- my timeline below (offshore).

-- I didn't complete a form 80. I thnk it's one of the forms your CO will request if they need the extra information.

-- 2/3 pages. My partner did a much shorter version (men!).

-- not sure what this refers to.

-- I referenced mine in different sections (so where I mentioned holidays in the personal statement, I gave it a number and made a section of items relating to holidays - ie, flight receipts, photos, activities etc). I sandwiched the sections together with a piece of paper and wrote the section name/number on accordingly. The offshore guidelines said not to clip sheets and to keep them loose.

-- I didn't think it was stressful, but I took my time collating the various items needed and accepted that it wouldn't be done instantly!

Offshore and onshore are completely different time lines. It will vary depending on what state you applied in, and to what office. I was recently told by the Brisbane office that they are running 12 months before they get to assign a CO. If everything is in order you may never hear from that CO, if they are missing paperwork or there are questions they will contact you and then put your case in a pile where it may lay for some time before they get back to it.

Hi there, the DIBP website says processing times for the 820/801 partner visa are currently 12-15 months. I waited for 12 months for a CO a few years ago, and processing times were 6-9 months when I applied. So you could be in for a long wait I'm afraid :(

I didn't include form 80 but was asked for it by my CO. Our statements were about 2-3 pages I think.

When I lodged my visa they said not to bind it, use paperclips or anything so I just put a huge pile of paper in an Express Post envelope and sent it off! I did use coloured paper to separate sections in the hope of making it clearer and easier to read. I understand that you can now lodge your application online, and it's a bit cheaper so if I was applying now, I'd apply online.

We have a pretty complicated story but have been told that we should meet therequirements.

Who advised you that it “should” meet the requirements. It’s a lot of time and money to invest on “should”.

It depends on many factors such as on or off shore. Onshore can take up to 13 months.

Do you have to complete a form 80 before lodgingyour application or just when the CO contacts you?

It is not a requirement for a valid application but recommended if you want to lodge a decision ready application.

How long was your personal statements? I also typedmine and I'll get it signed by a JP soon.

It depends on how complicated the story of your relationship is. Generally keep it short and to the point. The case officers do not want to read every minute and intimate detail of the relationship.

Most of my applications the statements are kept down to 1 page.

Did you use paperclips? or how did you organize thepaperwork?

Partner applications can now be lodged online. If lodging paper applications do not use binders, paper clips, etc.

Because getting an Australian visa is not a right but a privilege. Many people want one and are prepared to bend the rule and the truth to get it. As such application are assessed more rigorously and sometimes the genuine applicants suffer.

My personal statement is 2 pages typed. We have shortened our story but it being complicated is by me coming back on my 2nd year working holiday visa to be with my partner. We met on the first year but I wanted to travel a bit more but you only realize what you have until it's gone. So the 1st June 2013 i moved here and in with him. thats 01/06/2013 - 01/06/2014. we have all our evidence from then til now with, tickets, joint bank accounts, joint lease, 10 stat decs and so on...

The only complication is i have to lodge my application before I hit the 1 year requirement (we were on and off a year and half until i came back)

BUT we have registered our relationship with NSW and I have called the immigration department and they said lodge it 3 weeks before (for my bridging visa) and because I have that certificate it will be fine!

I understand why they make this so complicated as it is nearly impossible to fraud. But for people that are genuine... I just couldn't imagine being ripped away from my partner.

But thank you to everyone for advising me and helping me out it has really put me at ease :)

I've just been stressing myself out and my partner is a tad lazy with it all. He seems to think its all just going to work out and happen....

Offshore and onshore are completely different time lines. It will vary depending on what state you applied in, and to what office. I was recently told by the Brisbane office that they are running 12 months before they get to assign a CO. If everything is in order you may never hear from that CO, if they are missing paperwork or there are questions they will contact you and then put your case in a pile where it may lay for some time before they get back to it.

Mine was granted in Brisbane after 2 months. Only a couple of weeks after I supplied medical and police checks. This was in 2013

Just to add they were quoting 13 months at the time

Try not to stress - easier said than done, I know! Approach it step by step; make a list of things you need to do, in terms you understand (ie, simplify what the guidance book says). As long as you have got the evidence needed, it's just a paperwork / form filling exercise :)

My personal statement is 2 pages typed. We have shortened our story but it being complicated is by me coming back on my 2nd year working holiday visa to be with my partner. We met on the first year but I wanted to travel a bit more but you only realize what you have until it's gone. So the 1st June 2013 i moved here and in with him. thats 01/06/2013 - 01/06/2014. we have all our evidence from then til now with, tickets, joint bank accounts, joint lease, 10 stat decs and so on...

The only complication is i have to lodge my application before I hit the 1 year requirement (we were on and off a year and half until i came back)

BUT we have registered our relationship with NSW and I have called the immigration department and they said lodge it 3 weeks before (for my bridging visa) and because I have that certificate it will be fine!

I understand why they make this so complicated as it is nearly impossible to fraud. But for people that are genuine... I just couldn't imagine being ripped away from my partner.

But thank you to everyone for advising me and helping me out it has really put me at ease :)

I've just been stressing myself out and my partner is a tad lazy with it all. He seems to think its all just going to work out and happen....

Archived