Do Good Working Hostels Really Exist??? Know Any!!??HELP

boyd1991

Hi Guys

Quick low down of my situation. My names Boyd, 21 year old English male. I have always liked the sound of moving to Aus, as everyone i know who has been previously has really regretted returning to the UK. I was out in Australia over xmas and new year, completely loved it and have decided that i would like to return for at least a year. However, if i really did settle i would look at more permanent options (skilled independent visa). So i have gone and got myself a WHV along with a flight to Sydney in June as i had friends there. However due to unforeseen circumstances my friends are now returning home.

After thinking about it i dont think its wise to dive straight into Sydney. My friends being there was most likely the main reason i wanted to return so fast. I think i would be better of getting my regional work done should i want to extend for a 2nd year. This hopefully could help me boost my funds a little if i am careful with my money and not getting drunk all the time :/.

So i have been looking at the harvest trail, along with all the working hostel websites. Checking all reviews and trying to get a grasp of where to go and what hostels to stay in. The hostels have such mixed reviews its hard to tell who is just trying to steal your money and who actually will support you in the search for work. Also i appreciate that the weather determines the crop quality and amount of work available?

I just wanted to hear any experiences you guys had with hostels and finding work? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated?

Location im not worried about as i will move my flight or get an additional transfer.

Boyd

From what I hear myself in Oz and on these forums I have formed my own opinion on them.

I dont think you can make great money at any of them compared to working for a contractor/farm. The business model of the hostel is to make you spend all the money you earned back into the hostel. Kind of like a never ending cycle.

As for how the hostels are, many of them are well run and people have a lot of fun there. So the experience is going to be good, but unlocking your 88 days and making money, hmm maybe not so good, as I dont think you will be working 5-6 days a week, maybe 1-3. So what was a 3 month stay now becomes 5-6months

From what I hear myself in Oz and on these forums I have formed my own opinion on them.

I dont think you can make great money at any of them compared to working for a contractor/farm. The business model of the hostel is to make you spend all the money you earned back into the hostel. Kind of like a never ending cycle.

As for how the hostels are, many of them are well run and people have a lot of fun there. So the experience is going to be good, but unlocking your 88 days and making money, hmm maybe not so good, as I dont think you will be working 5-6 days a week, maybe 1-3. So what was a 3 month stay now becomes 5-6months

Thanks for your reply. So how woul you usually go about finding work for a contractor/farm? Gumtree? Is there any farms or hostels you can suggest as "the better" places to be around June time from your own experiance?

If I was you I would go to somewhere like Alice Springs or Darwin and do construction work. Better pay than fruit picking by a mile, and plenty of other backpackers about the place.

Am i right in thinking that all work in those places is classed as regional?

Archived