Football (Soccer) in Brisbane

Just a shout out to anyone coming over, or already here, that are going to miss the one thing that the uk IS good for - Football...

Since coming here (Brisbane) I have joined the supporters club for the queensland roar. It's not the Premier League (or EPL - get used to hearing that!), but it fills a gap. Avg 14,000 crowd every week and we had 38,000 for the finals this season. The stadium is a 55,000 seat monster which is great. Anyway, if anyone is missing the "real footie", we all meet in Kitty's pub on Caxton Street before the match - you can see the forum at www.roarfans.com.au

Season runs from Oct to Feb so it's off season now..... so if anyone fancies trying an AFL match give me a shout. Not been to one yet and don't know any supporters.

I'm in the Springfield area

Darren (33)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
No replies huh? Surprising.

Well at least this comment puts it to the top for another go!

My hubby's a big Man United fan, and he gets to watch it more (albeit on telly!) than he did in the UK, as they show more matches here than on Sky.

He watched rugby league too in England, and is now following the Titans. If you fancy that, let him know, he keeps talking about going, but never gets round to it. He's not too familiar with AFL yet; he didn't like it at first, but now is getting into it a bit, so will pass this on to him, cos he's asleep now.

Bumped it up at least anyhow!

Jo

Guest mallstacey08

what about actually getting into playin football here.i have played semi pro in england and want to carry on playin.any tips or advice

My hubby's a big Man United fan, and he gets to watch it more (albeit on telly!) than he did in the UK, as they show more matches here than on Sky.

He watched rugby league too in England, and is now following the Titans. If you fancy that, let him know, he keeps talking about going, but never gets round to it. He's not too familiar with AFL yet; he didn't like it at first, but now is getting into it a bit, so will pass this on to him, cos he's asleep now.

Bumped it up at least anyhow!

Jo

Where abouts are you living? - Just seen your profile.....so I know where you live now! duh!

mmmm, not sure I am up for the league thing. I am trying to get into it here, but just find myself turning over during the game. Just doesn't hold my interest.... but then AFL never used to either.

what about actually getting into playin football here.i have played semi pro in england and want to carry on playin.any tips or advice

Have you tried contacting the Queensland Roar directly for a try-out? If not, there is a queensland league too which you maybe able to get into a team with. Search on Google for Qld football and you should get the home page for Qld FA come up. I'm sure there will be contacts on there.

Personally I love football, but have the ball skills of a kit-kat, so I don't have any details for you - sorry!

Where are you living? In Runaway Bay, they're always playing football outside the sports centre, could try that. There's an over 35's team near us to that my husband keeps looking at, but has a bad ankle now after a tackle a few years back.

Jo x

Archived