Darwin...

IsaacShaw13

Me and my friend are looking to be in Australia by August this year, we have been looking to go to the Gold Coast to start off. Having recently spoke to somebody who has just left the Gold Coast and is now in Darwin, we are having second thoughts as he said there is a lot of work there and a lot of regional work too.

Can anybody tell me what it is like in Darwin bearing in mind we are both 19 years old and like to go out etc...

no regional work that qualify for your visa in the Gold coast. Darwin mainly grows bananas ( I could be wrong), and just because there is work now.

Regional work is seasonal, just because there is work now in Darwin, doesn't mean come August there will be work.

I am always a bit puzzled why backpackers choose Gold Coast. I really like the Gold Coast don't get me wrong, but if I were backpacking I would want to do something more unusual, a bit different, really see Australia. You might as well go to Brighton, Blackpool or Benidorm as to go to Gold Coast. Get yourselves up to Darwin or Cairns, finding work will be much of a muchness.

:biggrin:

no regional work that qualify for your visa in the Gold coast. Darwin mainly grows bananas ( I could be wrong), and just because there is work now.

Regional work is seasonal, just because there is work now in Darwin, doesn't mean come August there will be work.

No bananas in Darwin - round Tully area on east coast and Carnarvon on West cost is where you will get Bananas. Darwin has Mango season but its around November time. There is plenty of other things you can do for the regional work does not have to be fruit picking.

When I did my WHV I had a great time and more memorable experience in the more out of the way places. I spent 3ish months in the outback in NT and did some work on a Banana farm in Tully.

As backpackers you are always going to get loads of backpackers passing through visiting Darwin, Kakadu or Litchfiled Park etc.

Head to Port Douglas. Spent last week there. Lots of businesses in Macrossan St have "Staff Wanted" notices in windows. All the pubs and restaurants are staffed by young Brits and Irish. It's only an hour drive to Cairns. I was in Darwin for 5 days last year and there didn't seem to be much going on. Port Douglas is much nicer.

Archived