Car Rental options for new migrant.

Drumbos79

Hi folks

I arrive in the Gold Coast in 6 weeks time with my family to set up a new business. As I will be self employed car finance is out of the question as I would need 2 years of financials. Has anyone been in a similar position? Obviously I can't pay full price for a decent car so the alternative is to buy is cheap $5,000 car or to rent from Apex at $800 a month which is very expensive.

Interested to hear of anyone else's similar dilemma and if there is an alternative I haven't come across.

Thanks

John

If you know a little bit about cars( mechanically) , I would recommend going to a car auction and picking out one for $5000. Offer them what your willing to pay, and see what they say.Their is one at springwood , about 30 mins from Gold Coast. It's where a lot of second hand car yards buy their stock from and you could put a few offers down on some. When I returned from uk to oz , I picked up a 4 year old ford for $7000 . Car yards were still selling them for $10 000- 12000, so was better off. You should be easily able to pick up a starter car for $5000 from somewhere.

Thanks Lambethald I've been on car sales the $5000 cars with mileage over 200k is scary considering we have a Vauxhall Astra twin top that's 7 years old only 50k miles and is now only worth 2K! I suppose it's good that cars hold their value in Oz.

Had a tip from a panel beater mate of mine; a lot of panel beaters have a stock of cars out the back that people have defaulted on payment, or the insurance agency hasn't stumped up or something so they abandon them at the yard. You can get these dirt cheap, and they're not all broken rubbish either - my mate has everything from basic fiestas up to majorly modified muscle cars (that one belonged to a guy who was wanted on drug charges so he skipped the country).

He recently sold a 2009 Barina with about 40k on the clock for $200 just to get it out of his sight. Worth asking...

Archived