Choosing between Sydney and Brisbane?

sameer123

Hello folks,

I am new to this forum. I vl b migrating to OZ wid my wife on PR visa. My company has offices in Sydney and Brisbane. So I am stuck as to which place to choose, Sydney or Brisbane. Points for comparison are-

Climate:

Lifestyle:

Housing rents:

Budget wise:

CAN U PLZ GUIDE ME On THIS ONE? I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO OZ MYSELF, SO I HIGHLY RELY ON VARIOUS OZ LINKS & FORUMS TO GET INFO. HENCE, PLZ SHARE YOUR IDEAS.

My comments:

Climate: Brisbane has a more humid summer, but to be honest, only a bit more. Sydney is also pretty humid in summer. Brisbane has a more pleasant winter.

Lifestyle: neither city governs your lifestyle, this is all you...

Housing: significantly cheaper in Brisbane for both renting and buying.

Budget: with the exception of housing, you may find Brisbane marginally more expensive, but nothing to base a decision upon.

I sort of feel like you are missing something with those categories though, looks like Brisbane is hands down winner based on the above alone. I think what it missing is the range of activities and attractions, which is much greater in Sydney. Sydney also has the iconic landmarks and beaches, which Brisbane does not do as well on.

There's no right or wrong decision. Think of it instead as choosing between two right choices. Of course, whichever one you choose, you might be wondering if it was the right decision. I lived in Sydney for most of my life in Australia, but I'd no have problem moving to Brisbane, or any other state capital.

Hey, thanks for your valuable inputs. We have heard dat housing rents in Sydney are sky high. So Brisbane may be ok.

Ya, I agree dat there a lot of attractions to see in Sydney, but we both don't really like beaches. So we might think of Brisbane. Thanks again.

Hey thanks. Sydney housing rates r very high so I think Brisbane should be ok. U are right, Sydney has awesome beaches, but we both don't like beaches so I think dat shouldn't b a problem at all dat we might think of Brisbane. Thanks again.

You are from India? There is probably an Indian newspaper, almost definitely here in Sydney, where I'm sure there is a large community. www.indiantelegraph.com.au based here in Sydney. That might sway your decision on where to live, too, if there is a bigger community here?

logo.jpg

About Us

“The Indian” now known as “The Indian Telegraph” is a monthly tabloid sized newspaper that caters to the tastes of an ever-changing Australian-Indian Diaspora. Our office is located in the heart of Sydney’s Central Business District and is equipped with a state-of-the-art audio-visual facility where we showcase the quality of our work.

Our editorial team has many high-profile reporters and international correspondents while the production team consists of expert graphic designers who have varied experience in printing as well as publishing. This synergy ensures that the quality of the product we deliver is consistently excellent, carving a prominent position in the market. The paper’s content, its reliability and easy accessibility, makes “The Indian” now known as “The Indian Telegraph” clearly standout in the market.

With a rapidly increasing Indian population, “The Indian” now known as “The Indian Telegraph” is one of the most effective advertising tools for businesses, targeting people from the Indian Telegraph sub-continent or readers with Indian interests. “The Indian” now known as “The Indian Telegraph” will also have a strong internet presence by publishing an e-paper simultaneously with its print edition, making it a one of a kind publication in the Australian market. This e-paper is unique and the first of its kind amongst other ethnic Indian newspapers in the Australian region.

Hi Sameer,

I have lived in both cities. hope this helps:

Sydney:

1) Larger indian community compared to brisbane. if you are looking to set up a support group in the initial phrase, it should not be a problem at all.

2) Lots of activities and things to do

3) Rents are a bit higher than brisbane ( but then again it depends on how much you are willing to spend and where you want to live)

4) Commuting is by train or bus for work

5) you get to experience all 4 seasons in a day (Sometimes :))

6) Lots of people around, you won't miss home for sure. its has a big city feel ( like bombay or delhi)

7) A Lot of temples, if you are the religious sort.

8) Indian restaurants and groceries stores are plenty.

9) Great place to live if single or otherwise.

Brisbane:

1) Smaller indian community- so setting up a support group might sometimes get a bit challenging.

2) Commuting to CBD is by train or bus

3) you can rent in the CBD ( 550-750 AUD per week), depends on whether you are looking for 1 or 2 BHK (live in CBD and save on the commute, suburbs are cheaper but you have to spend on transportation to the city)

4) Lesser things to do ( the usual stuff in brisbane and gold coast or sunshine coast- mostly they are beaches)

5) Friday/ Saturday nights are dead in the CBD other than the Fortitude valley.

6) Fewer indian stores and restaurants.

7) Great place to live if you like smaller cities and fewer people

8) things are laid back compared to Sydney.

9) Fewer temples.

10) if you are after a laid back and slower pace of life then this city is for you.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks, Pooja..I really appreciate your inputs. I checked the rents of 2BHK in Sydney they r sky high(as compared to Brisbane) But other than that even we feel Sydney has more +ses to LIVE in. Lets see. I am migrating wid my wife to OZ. She is already feeling nervous as initially to adjust and socialize might take time. Anyway, hows your experience so far in OZ??

Archived