Moving to Toowoomba by myself

semicharmed13

Hey guys,

I just sent my contract off for a job in Toowoomba, I am 26 y/o female and moving by myself (dunno if that was foolish or incredibly brave havnt decided yet :S) and hoping to be there first week of May on a WHV. I start work on the 13th of May.

I am absolutely clueless as to how to go about it all. Probably should have looked into before I signed the contracts but...well...its done now..!

I am planning to fly to Brisbane and spending few days there to set up a SIM card/phone number and bank account and possibly look into a car?

In your experience how much before starting a job should I try and move there to set up. What are the must do things I need to have in place before I start? From my knowledge a place to stay in toowoomba, a phone, a bank account, Medicare, Tax file number....and a car maybe?

Is there anyone here from Toowoomba who made the similar move? Also I would totally grateful if you could advise me on what places to stay and where to steer away from. I am hoping to find a flat share as it may be more economical and frankly I need all the friends that I can get!

I would truly appreciate any words of wisdom or advice and if there is anyone from Toowoomba here that I can 'be-friend' as its all very daunting moving alone :/

Much love and thank you in advance for any ideas/input, this forum has been a fountain of knowledge!

xx

I moved over four days before I started work. There is really not that much to do and you don't need everything done on day one anyway. If you get your phone, bank account, TFN ordered (TFN will take 2-5 weeks to come through) then you are in good shape. Obviously you should look into temporary accommodation for your arrival and then look for a longer term place when you get there. Don't take anywhere sight unseen.

Have you actually researched Toowoomba itself? Seems an unusual choice for a 26 year old moving on own. What attracts you to the place?

I moved over four days before I started work. There is really not that much to do and you don't need everything done on day one anyway. If you get your phone, bank account, TFN ordered (TFN will take 2-5 weeks to come through) then you are in good shape. Obviously you should look into temporary accommodation for your arrival and then look for a longer term place when you get there. Don't take anywhere sight unseen.

Have you actually researched Toowoomba itself? Seems an unusual choice for a 26 year old moving on own. What attracts you to the place?

I was sent a brochure of it prepared by the company hiring me. I was offered a job in Brisbane but I was warned the Dentists there struggle to keep busy due to high competition and I thought I would take up the Toowoomba practice instead and they offered me the option to be moved anywhere else if I wasnt feeling it in TW! I know its a bit of a more mature town with regards to night life etc...but I have grown up on the Isle of Man...cant imagine it being more livelier than that!

Did you sort your phone, bank acc and TFN in Brisbane? How do I go about ordering a TFN, can I do it from the UK? Also did you need a car? Or can I depend on public transport til I am able to 'settle' and then look for one?

Thank you for your advice! xxx

P.s for some strange reason I keep having to correct myself and say its Toowoomba and not Tumbawumba...:/

Hey guys,

I just sent my contract off for a job in Toowoomba, I am 26 y/o female and moving by myself (dunno if that was foolish or incredibly brave havnt decided yet :S) and hoping to be there first week of May on a WHV. I start work on the 13th of May.

I am absolutely clueless as to how to go about it all. Probably should have looked into before I signed the contracts but...well...its done now..!

I am planning to fly to Brisbane and spending few days there to set up a SIM card/phone number and bank account and possibly look into a car?

In your experience how much before starting a job should I try and move there to set up. What are the must do things I need to have in place before I start? From my knowledge a place to stay in toowoomba, a phone, a bank account, Medicare, Tax file number....and a car maybe?

Is there anyone here from Toowoomba who made the similar move? Also I would totally grateful if you could advise me on what places to stay and where to steer away from. I am hoping to find a flat share as it may be more economical and frankly I need all the friends that I can get!

I would truly appreciate any words of wisdom or advice and if there is anyone from Toowoomba here that I can 'be-friend' as its all very daunting moving alone :/

Much love and thank you in advance for any ideas/input, this forum has been a fountain of knowledge!

xx

Hello ! Have you looked on real estate.com ? http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-toowoomba+city+and+suburbs%2c+qld%3b+/list-1 East or South side of Toowoomba is nice, older suburbs. Are you looking for furnished accomadation ? I would be a little wary of shared accomadation until you get to know the different areas. You could put an ad on Gum tree but again (just my thoughts) I would be careful until you know the areas and are able to go and look at places for your self. I would be contacting all the big real estate agents in Toowoomba and see what they can do to help you you can get a list of agents via real estate .com. You "will" need a car, no little villages here where everything is in walking distance LOL. Toowoomba is a beautiful City, well in my opinion though if you are into all night clubs and the like well you may have to take a trip to Brisbane for that sort of thing, Great parks, good shopping, top schools. Toowoomba is set to really move ahead as they have a new airport opening later this year, and a bypass has just been given the go ahead which will transform Toowoomba by removing all the trucks that currently have to go through the middle of the city.

This might be what you need as it is close to Uni so lots of younger people but at the same time your own space. Furnished as well, and nice area. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-kearneys+spring-410903203

This may help as well http://www.whereis.com you can key in the street of where you are working and press enter then hit directions and key in any address of where a flat is and hit enter and it shows you a map with distance from one point to the other. You can also look at where shops and the like are.

Don't forget to give yourself some time for the jet lag, can take so e people a week to get back to good. The TFN can be done online but only in Aus apparently, Medicare is just a ten minute appointment but if they are busy they may ask you to come back later or there will be a wait so allow 2 hours. You need your passport and a hard copy of your visa confirmation printed.

setting up a bank account can be done from home, commonwealth and NAB seem to be the most popular and you can collect your cards once here and change the registered address etc.

Gumtree is great for looking at rentals but would also recommend airbnb for the short term. There are also people offering short term room shares on gumtree and other sites so you wouldn't be having to sign a lease and paying a large bond/deposit immediately. Once you're on a lease, if you leave early they can keep the deposit so don't rush that bit, there will always be somewhere to stay.

Hiring a car for a few days and having a drive around is a great way to get a feel for a place and buying a car is very straight forward, as is registering it but you will need to show an address (i.e a bank statement with it on) plus your passport and say, a UK bank card, to do this so make sure you take that all in when you go. If there's any rego (like tax) left on the car you just have to transfer it into your name (and I think pay stamp duty) which is pretty simple and not too costly. Again, gumtree will give you an idea of prices.

Make sure you get your phone unlocked before you arrive, then Optus give some of the cheapest deals while retaining good coverage. Good luck!

Don't forget to give yourself some time for the jet lag, can take so e people a week to get back to good. The TFN can be done online but only in Aus apparently, Medicare is just a ten minute appointment but if they are busy they may ask you to come back later or there will be a wait so allow 2 hours. You need your passport and a hard copy of your visa confirmation printed.

setting up a bank account can be done from home, commonwealth and NAB seem to be the most popular and you can collect your cards once here and change the registered address etc.

Gumtree is great for looking at rentals but would also recommend airbnb for the short term. There are also people offering short term room shares on gumtree and other sites so you wouldn't be having to sign a lease and paying a large bond/deposit immediately. Once you're on a lease, if you leave early they can keep the deposit so don't rush that bit, there will always be somewhere to stay.

Hiring a car for a few days and having a drive around is a great way to get a feel for a place and buying a car is very straight forward, as is registering it but you will need to show an address (i.e a bank statement with it on) plus your passport and say, a UK bank card, to do this so make sure you take that all in when you go. If there's any rego (like tax) left on the car you just have to transfer it into your name (and I think pay stamp duty) which is pretty simple and not too costly. Again, gumtree will give you an idea of prices.

Make sure you get your phone unlocked before you arrive, then Optus give some of the cheapest deals while retaining good coverage. Good luck!

If you buy a car dont go near Motor Finance Wizard ! Think most people on here (well those in Aus) would agree.

[h=3][/h]

Archived