If we want to return can we?!?! Husband is Australian with UK permanent residency.

SallyKay

Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help with this. My husband has lived in the UK for 22 years and has permanent residency here, however, will he need citizenship to return to leave in the UK if we ever wanted to return if Australia didn't work out for us? I just read something on another post that has worried me that he'd need UK citizenship. Does anybody know I'm in a panic! My husband has been certain he can reside permanently here but does it apply if you have left the country for a duration. Obviously hoping Australia works out for us but I must know we can return if we need to! Thanks so much any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help with this. My husband has lived in the UK for 22 years and has permanent residency here, however, will he need citizenship to return to leave in the UK if we ever wanted to return if Australia didn't work out for us? I just read something on another post that has worried me that he'd need UK citizenship. Does anybody know I'm in a panic! My husband has been certain he can reside permanently here but does it apply if you have left the country for a duration. Obviously hoping Australia works out for us but I must know we can return if we need to! Thanks so much any advice will be greatly appreciated!

it it all depends but, yes, it would be an eminently sensible option! If he has a UK born parent he should be entitled to citizenship by descent. If he has a UK born grandparent then he may access an Ancestry Visa which would allow him to return - providing the current visa categories remain the same (gamble). If neither of those then he would have to rely on a spouse visa which would require you to be earning a significant amount to support him - not a happy alternative!

I'd say it's a no brainer - if you're able to get citizenship then do it! He won't lose his Aus citizenship if that's what he's afraid of - that regulation was repealed a while ago.

Edited by Quoll

He should definitely get citizenship, it is the best way to ensure there will never be any issues.