Medicals - Dorset

seaangel

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi

I can't help re the doctor in Weymouth. I took my mother to Dr Goodall in Southampton last year. He was a star. He saw us at less than a week's notice, comes from Tasmania and was utterly charming. The x-rays were done at the BUPA hozzy in Southampton two days before.

The x-rays were £61.50. Dr Goodall chargd £140. He did not make a separate charge for the blood tests or for sending the forms to Australia.

When I rang the Panel Doctors in Chichester - thinking that a bigger practice would provide a swift appointment - they said it would be at least a month before a Panel doctor could see Mum.

Hope this helps

Gill

Hi

I can't help re the doctor in Weymouth. I took my mother to Dr Goodall in Southampton last year. He was a star. He saw us at less than a week's notice, comes from Tasmania and was utterly charming. The x-rays were done at the BUPA hozzy in Southampton two days before.

The x-rays were £61.50. Dr Goodall chargd £140. He did not make a separate charge for the blood tests or for sending the forms to Australia.

When I rang the Panel Doctors in Chichester - thinking that a bigger practice would provide a swift appointment - they said it would be at least a month before a Panel doctor could see Mum.

Hope this helps

Gill

Thanks for the info. :D

I now live near Weymouth but used to live in Southampton so will compare prices and also timescales for appointments etc.

Could always do some shopping at West Quay whilst there!! :lol:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Seaangel

We could meet for lunch if you wish. I work about 8 minutes walk from West Quay, not far from the Mayflower Theatre.

Dr Goodall is in Carlton Road, which roughly runs parallel with The Avenue but is behind the Courts. He's on a parallel with the City centre end of The Avenue. The BUPA hospital is right next door to Southampton General in Shirley, though you could have the x-rays done in Dorchester if you prefer. You are allowed to do a pic'n'mix with the meds!

As you say, check prices and waiting times before you decide. I think there are panel doctors in Poole too, though recently a lady said that although she lives very near Poole, she came to Southampton for her meds because Dr Goodall and the x-ray clinic here were both able to see her much sooner than the clinic & doctor in Poole.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Seaangel

We could meet for lunch if you wish. I work about 8 minutes walk from West Quay, not far from the Mayflower Theatre.

Dr Goodall is in Carlton Road, which roughly runs parallel with The Avenue but is behind the Courts. He's on a parallel with the City centre end of The Avenue. The BUPA hospital is right next door to Southampton General in Shirley, though you could have the x-rays done in Dorchester if you prefer. You are allowed to do a pic'n'mix with the meds!

As you say, check prices and waiting times before you decide. I think there are panel doctors in Poole too, though recently a lady said that although she lives very near Poole, she came to Southampton for her meds because Dr Goodall and the x-ray clinic here were both able to see her much sooner than the clinic & doctor in Poole.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks again. I used to work opposite the Courts at the bottom of The Avenue and vaguely remember the doctor's surgery! Will need to persuade husband that it is a good idea to go there, i.e. kill 2 birds with 1 stone and fit in some shopping!

I know that Dorchester charge £81 per person for x-rays but can only do them on certain days. Will definitely check out the Southampton lot! :D

Guest Gollywobbler

Blimus. £81 sounds a lot for the x-rays! Are they using gold on the plates instead of silver or something?!

When I rang the BUPA hozzy in Southampton last year (since Soton is nearest to us) they told me the price on the phone and said they could do the x-rays any day of the week, and just needed 24 hours notice. They were done 2 days before we saw Dr Goodall. The hozzy said they would send the x-rays direct to him, so I was a bit concerned that they might not reach him in time but they did.

When I rang Dr Goodall's surgery again, his receptionist gave me the price on the phone. She said he isn't there on Tuesdays, but Wednesday was no sweat since by then I had arranged the x-rays for the following Monday. The Man Himself lays on the charm with a shovel! My Mum is 85 but she thinks he is the bees' knees!

Cheers

Gill

Guest spray21

Blimey, £36 is good! Almost worth travelling to Kent for!

We got quoted £80 in Taunton, we went to Barnstaple where it was £60.

Also got expensive quote for medical in Taunton, plus they were going to add all sort of extra charges for postage etc - all per person, even though they could have gone in the same envelope!

We went to Bristol in the end, where the doctor was lovely and charged us less than Taunton quoted AND with no extra charges except the blood tests (which have to be sent somewhere else anyway, so we wrote a cheque for those people separately).

Would highly recommend both Barnstaple and Bristol, the staff were really lovely at both.

Guest Nathan & Mandie

Hi, We used Dr Goodall in Southampton last week - FANTASTIC. Surgery really helpful we even got a history lesson on Australia thrown in. We used BUPA round corner in Chalybeate Close for Xrays they were £64 each and we went straight over to Drs when done, even fitted us in two hours earlier than appointment time. If you have tattoos, the medicals are more expensive because of the blood tests. I dont suppose your mum has any though!!!!!

Mandie

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mandie

That's great news. Getting the meds out of the way is one of the big milestones with this process, I reckon.

Hopefully your visa won't be long now.

Keep us posted, won't you?

Cheers

Gill

Archived