Car nightmare in Victoria

Barryinoz

Hi all I'm new to the site so this is my first post.

Last Friday evening while finishing up work I lost my keys and my phone I put

them Down somewhere and they vanished. Anyways it was the only key I had to my van

so saturday I called out a locksmith to have a new key cut. I supplied him the vin number and I called holden and got my security code. After maybe 10 mins he had the key cut and the van open.

Here's the problem, for some reason the key opened all the doors but will not start in the ignition(it won't even turn over) the guy told me that I need a new ignition barrel as he says my one is worn. Up until firday I never had any problems with my van or iginition it had all been working perfectly. It's a 2007 holden combo so the key is a transporter key but there is no imboileiser. So the locksmith is now looking for $560 for the new ignition barrel, and $170 to program the new key, it all seems a bit pricy, I called holden and they can't give me any feed back unless I had the van towed to them at a cost of $300. I'm quite new to Australia and I don't know anybody here that's why I'm venting all on here lol!

anybody have any feedback or car knowledge?

Hi Mate,

Your local dealer should be able to order a key for you, they may ask for VIN, engine number, or other details to cross reference against. You may though end up with two keys one for the locks and one for the ignition.

You should not need to take the vehicle in to them to get a new key; it’s a bit strange.

You should not need a new ignition barrel, unless the key has actually broken inside or it has been damaged.

My experience is dealing with commercial vehicles, and what I have had t do to get new keys. When I lost my car key, we just gave the dealer the Vin number and Engine number and waited a week for a new key.

Guest sidster

You dont need a new Barrel ,Holden will reprogram key for you but they will need your van to plug their programmer into it and i think they charge around 120 -150 to do it ,phone around local tilt tray services sure you will find somebody cheaper to get it to holden or try another locksmith most decent ones have the programmer needed and takes about 10 mins to do !

Just an after thought,

But I did use some lorries once and while they were on a service contract, if I wanted a new key I just phoned the dealer with the Vin and ordered a key.

However once they came off the service contract, I had to send the vehicle in to get a new key, they tried to tell me this had always been the case which was a load of rubbish, just a ploy to get more money out of me.

Hope I have helped in some way.

Just an after thought,

But I did use some lorries once and while they were on a service contract, if I wanted a new key I just phoned the dealer with the Vin and ordered a key.

However once they came off the service contract, I had to send the vehicle in to get a new key, they tried to tell me this had always been the case which was a load of rubbish, just a ploy to get more money out of me.

Hope I have helped in some way.

Thanks for your feedback mate really appreciate everyone who replied to me.

yes holden said because my van is no longer under warranty I will have to have it towed at my own expense.

they said they no longer supply keys unless the vehicle is brought into them. The locksmith is really pushing to fit the new ignition Barrel Tommorw, I need my van for work as I'm a tradie and can't get around on public transport with all my tools. It's crazy that I just seen a ignition barrel online for $50 yet holden is charging $290 plus GST.

Thanks for your feedback mate really appreciate everyone who replied to me.

yes holden said because my van is no longer under warranty I will have to have it towed at my own expense.

they said they no longer supply keys unless the vehicle is brought into them. The locksmith is really pushing to fit the new ignition Barrel Tommorw, I need my van for work as I'm a tradie and can't get around on public transport with all my tools. It's crazy that I just seen a ignition barrel online for $50 yet holden is charging $290 plus GST.

unfortunately that is your problem. You need your van ASAP.

I have seen the same issue on the Jeep forums that I am on, and its the same. lose a key or need reprogramming, then they have you over a barrel. Unfortunately I think you are going to have to pay up and get it to the dealer or lose income because of your trade. My car went into the dealers recently for a couple of warranty issues and they couldn't reprogram my spare key because of software issues. Luckily they had been able to reprogram the first key before it happened, otherwise I would have had no car to drive on a Friday arvo as well.

Guest The Pom Queen

I remember when we thought we had lost our only key for my barina they quoted me $1200 for a new key from Holden :no:

The barrel was worn on my Ford Territory and eventually the barrel started turning freely and not starting the car at all - it was a full day to pull it all apart and $1800 worth of parts and labour, and now the key for the ignition is different to the one that opens the doors...

Anyway, I don't think I'd be buying the story about the barrel. Try a second locksmith before going to Holden, who will charge like wounded bulls.

Archived