Where to live in queensland

Mistymorningstar

Hi, I am an Aussie who left Melbourne in 1976 and came over to the UK, travelled a bit outside the UK, then settled in London. I therefore have dual nationality. At 66 years of age, fit and well, I have had a great desire to move to Queensland where I actually grew up. I no longer have any family ties there. I grew up in Brisbane. I would love to live in a smallish 3 bedroom house within a forest/rain forest setting. The appeal is for attractive location than a fancy house. I love nature and the sounds of nature, am not a surburban type of person though living in outer London, Uxbridge., one has no choice. I love London, its culture, the English people, and have had the happiest time of my life here, but now that family have grown up and have their own lives, would like to return to the Queensland Bush. I would love to have some advice from other members please. If I was asked to relay the perfect situation it would be a large piece of land allowing me to have a couple of cottages/caravans to rent out. I would have approximately $600,000 to spend on a property (depending on exchange rate of course). Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks, Misty

Hi

Have a look at this link, the areas i searched are about 50 mins to an hour south of Brisbane city and would tick all your boxes. Lots are way under your budget.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/size-1000-between-0-600000-in-tamborine%3b+canungra%2c+qld+4275/list-1?activeSort=list-date&source=refinements

Hope it helps a bit and gives you some ideas

Cal x

Hi Cal, many thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. I know the area well, it is stunning especially Tamborine. Only prob is that once you are too old to drive, it is difficult to commute between Tamborine and the Gold Coast where your supermarket/shopping would be. It has always been high on my list. Best wishes, x

Back to you again Cal, my late father lived during the latter part of his life at Bribie Island, and much to everyone's surprise I liked it as well. Not as stunning as the Gold Coast where I would spend my growing up years, but it had everything you wanted. Surf up one end and a beautiful wide beach to walk along, and at the other end water that you could comfortably swim in or take the boat out for a spot of fishing. It has over years become incredibly populated. My late father then moved to Roslyn Lodge Mt Tamborine where I would often visit. I would be living on my own, and Tamborine as I remember was big on young families and couples, the retirees would in time sell up and move due to inability to drive in latter years. Living on ones own at Tamborine can be a little isolating. I communicated with a lady who was my mothers neighbour back when they all lived in McGregor, and after her husband died she moved to Redland Bay. Seems big on retirees - as her social life is incredibly busy having not known anyone. Again a lovely home but very suburban. Tamborine and Eagle Heights has still great appeal for me, and I am not ruling it out, just thinking aloud. Thanks again x

Guest BrisbaneBevan

I went to Bribie island recently, and thought it was very quiet. Seems like only one road, one town, and full of country folk. Was a bit disappointed to be honest.

The last time I was in Bribie was 15 years ago. My dads house was in walking distance to the beach. Across the road were a couple of shops and a bus stop. Bus would take you to Caboolture (I think that's what its called) and from there you catch a train to Roma Street station in Brisbane. I could see the attraction for my Dad, everything so near. I personally found it too built up.

Guest The Pom Queen
Well I would start looking at Cairns, Port Douglas, Palm Cove. Your budget would get a nice house up there.

Well I suppose I am going to be a little bias but I love Cairns and surrounds. If you want somewhere a little cooler and in the country look at places like Mareeba, Atherton and around there. I suppose it all depends if you need to work. Jobs up here are basically in tourism/hospitality or health care.

I have just mentally bought all 3 houses you have just shown Pom Queen!

Its like reliving my childhood in the first, a grown up treehouse. The 3rd would keep the kids happy, They are obsessed with Minecraft, and if that phase hasn't hit Australia yet its a computer game where you build things with cubes... Think Tetris!

Thanks Paul have never heard of Mt Nebo and Mt. Glorious, so have looked them both up. Thing is when you're young you love to leave your familiar surroundings and are able to settle anywhere. When you get older, you have these great ideas, but when it comes to the crunch familiarity is more comforting. Travel by all means, but its a good feeling to have your base in familiar surroundings. Have just looked up Mt. Nebo and Mt. Glorious, and can see the appeal. There is a real stunner in Mt Nebo for $625K located 12 Benson Rd - shaded bushland setting which I find very attractive. During childhood when living in Brisbane we had many cyclones, now Oz is noted for floods and fires, so elevated property is attractive. I am not selling up and moving at this stage, but will be in the coming months, so am taking all this information from the many that have replied on board. Many thanks.

Was going to mention Tambourine due to beautiful rainforest and community feel but also have a very soft spot for Caloundra - especially Currumundi Lake area - can't ever imagine that swimming/kayaking/walking there would ever get old - and you are relatively close to good transport links.

Thanks Paul have never heard of Mt Nebo and Mt. Glorious, so have looked them both up. Thing is when you're young you love to leave your familiar surroundings and are able to settle anywhere. When you get older, you have these great ideas, but when it comes to the crunch familiarity is more comforting. Travel by all means, but its a good feeling to have your base in familiar surroundings. Have just looked up Mt. Nebo and Mt. Glorious, and can see the appeal. There is a real stunner in Mt Nebo for $625K located 12 Benson Rd - shaded bushland setting which I find very attractive. During childhood when living in Brisbane we had many cyclones, now Oz is noted for floods and fires, so elevated property is attractive. I am not selling up and moving at this stage, but will be in the coming months, so am taking all this information from the many that have replied on board. Many thanks.

We've only been in Brisbane for 18 months (originally from Sheffield, Yorkshire) and have already found our comfort zone being the western suburbs of Brisbane. Anything north, south or east seems to be a trip into the unknown! One day I would love to own a house at Mt Nebo, some of the views are absolutely stunning. In the meantime I think we'll focus on The Gap, Kenmore and Ferny Hills way unless my pipedream comes true about owning a Queenslander in Bardon or Toowong!

Guest The Pom Queen
Palm Cove is one of those pretty places that is pretty boring too, unfortunately.

I never knew you lived up here Hun. The OP did say she didn't like city life etc. One thing about all these cairns suburbs is that they are around 15-30 minutes from cairns and surrounded by some lovely beaches and rainforest.

Archived