Best family car to buy? Wagon style.

Hope I'm posting in the right place.Looking at buying a new car/wagon. But I'm clueless when it comes to the best, economical one.Which wagon is the cheapest to run? Petrol or Diesel? I love the look of the Hyundai 1x35 very much, but is it a good one to buy? Any ideas at all are greatly appreciated.

If it's Japanese or Korean and preferably diesel you won't go far wrong.

Understand what your saying Baz, but, especially if your in WA you really need to take into account the parts issue.

I work in the car repair trade and you would not believe how long it takes to get parts for certain makes. If its Japanese and they have to order it then your looking at a six week wait.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread cos I'm after a new motor but torn between a SUV or a wagon.

Now no one laugh...but I really like the Ford Mondeo wagon....

Guest Guest 47403
Understand what your saying Baz, but, especially if your in WA you really need to take into account the parts issue.

I work in the car repair trade and you would not believe how long it takes to get parts for certain makes. If its Japanese and they have to order it then your looking at a six week wait.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread cos I'm after a new motor but torn between a SUV or a wagon.

Now no one laugh...but I really like the Ford Mondeo wagon....

The Mondeo is probably the most popular in the UK tbh, get great reviews, don't think you'd go far wrong getting one of those.

Surprised at the wait for Jap spares though wonder if it's the same on the East coast.

The Mondeo is probably the most popular in the UK tbh, get great reviews, don't think you'd go far wrong getting one of those.

Surprised at the wait for Jap spares though wonder if it's the same on the East coast.

No I'm only talking bloody wait-a-while WA here. At best we can order from East Coast, so only a 7 day wait!!

worst I've seen is a poor woman with a newish Renault Cabriolet ...she had a six month wait for her repairs due to parts issues.

back to the Mondeo wagon though...still newish here!!, used to be the Ford Falcon, only two for sale at the moment in the whole of Perth, both look worth a shout at but until all the finance for the house we are buying is signed and sealed I'm a bit reluctant to raid the piggy bank. Thank you for the feed back though, its funny but I would never have considered a Mondeo in the UK but saw one at the train station the other day and just liked the look of it. Think it would ideal for me and the dogs to get to the beach.

Guest Guest66881
Haha...that's more or less what my OH said when I told him I fancied a wagon:laugh:

did he pay you to make that post??:dull:

No mate i think they are cool looking older motors.

We have been looking online for 7/8 seater 4x4's, then we can have the space to move stuff and visitors, but also get to some of the harder to reach beaches. seems like a good compromise with the pajero or patrol as they seem to last.

Any thoughts?

I loved my Hyundai Santa Fe - converted to a 7 seater (good proper seats) and very economical for this size. As a 5 seater the luggage space was enormous.

Not a full on 4X4 but handles the dirt tracks, forest trails etc.

Archived