Defacto/spouse Visa - How Long??

wombat67

Hi all. I am Australian and my partner is English and we applied for our Australian Defacto Partner Visa in London back in October. We did not use an Agent and submitted medical results with the application form. They have taken the fee but we've heard nothing at all since. Does anyone have recent experience with this visa as we're planning to move end June and beginning to worry..

Thanks!

We've received nothing at all, except the withdrawal on the credit card a week after submission. I phoned for some advice and was told if the money's been debited it's in the system but I think it seems very strange to not have any correspondence at all. Wondering if I should phone again and be more persistent about its progress?

You have had no communication at all from them?

I applied for a defacto visa in October as well and heard back from my CO after about 5-6 weeks.

Although I did not supply the medical with the application (I did not think you were "allowed" to do that), I would assume they should have gotten into contact with you by now, to give you a date for the police checks if nothing else.

Maybe get in contact with the embassy and enquire about your application? (london.cc @ dfat.gov.au)

I agree with the previous poster that June is probably pushing it a bit. We are hoping for a decision by June / July and are looking at the end of September as our moving date.

Edit: Ah, your post crossed paths with mine there ;) If I were you, I'd be trying to get an answer from them. October is a long time to not have heard anything, imho.

Hi,

Got my grant two weeks ago - took exactly 8 months and 12 days. Like you we did it ourselves and didn't bother with an agent! Didn't hear anything directly from a my case officer throughout the application, only interaction we had with the case officer was when I asked questions! As long as you have supplied all the required information, doubt very much you will hear much from a case offer if at all until a decision has been made.

I would make the assumption, the only time you will actually hear from the CO is when they require more information - It's just a long waiting game unfortunately 8 to 9 months.

though, In my experience I would recommend firing off indirect questions as to how your application is coming along every couple of months.

Didn't hear anything directly from a my case officer throughout the application, only interaction we had with the case officer was when I asked questions! As long as you have supplied all the required information, doubt very much you will hear much from a case offer if at all until a decision has been made.

Question to the OP: You mentioned you provided the results from the medical with the application - did you provide the police checks as well?

Even if you have, the information provided in the email from my CO would have probably been of interest to you as well, i.e. FAQs about the process and travelling while your visa is being processed, privacy etc.

Thanks for the info and timeline. seems we continue to wait but I have taken the advice and sent off an email to London.cc asking if we can expect a CO or contact at some point. our 309/100 was submitted 14 Oct, funds debited 20 Oct and nothing since. Can the applicant travel to Australia in the meantime?

To quote the FAQs:

You may apply for other visas while your migration application is being processed. This will be assessed against the criteria for that visa subclass and will not affect the assessment of your migration application. Further information on other visas to Australia can be found on our website, www.immi.gov.au, or by contacting the Europe Service Centre between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, on 0207 420 3690.

Please note that if your travel to Australia results in you spending an accumulative period of 12 months or more in Australia in the last 10 years, you will need to provide an Australian Federal Police (AFP) check in order for your visa to be granted. For further information, please see the following website: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

It is also a legal requirement that you be outside Australia at the time of visa grant. If you are in Australia when your visa is ready for grant, you will need to depart. You can depart for any country in the world and you should spend at least 3 working days outside Australia to allow for processing of your visa. Working days do not include Saturday, Sunday or Public Holidays.

Thanks for the info and timeline. seems we continue to wait but I have taken the advice and sent off an email to London.cc asking if we can expect a CO or contact at some point. our 309/100 was submitted 14 Oct, funds debited 20 Oct and nothing since. Can the applicant travel to Australia in the meantime?

They can but are supposed to inform their CO of their plans and to ensure that they can be contacted when in Aus to arrange going off shore for visa grant etc (if still there then).

I must admit I do find it odd you've not been assigned a CO yet. Are you sure no one has emailed? Checked your spam folders and all that?

And what someone else said about police check, have you done that yet? Medicals and police checks are generally requested by CO Bout 3 months after lodgement and the current wait time is 8-9 months from lodging.

Medical results went with the application. Police check done but documentation said to hold onto until requested. Have checked our spam / junk folders and nothing there. Hopefully can track down someone who can advise something either way. Also wanted to get married here in UK before we left but that may just complicate things even further?! Family commitments mean a definite return to Aussie mid June so will just have to push and keep everything crossed.

• 1 month later...

Archived