Social worker moving to Adelaide... advice and info needed please :-)

Natalie from Staffs uk

Hello, I am new to this site and finding my way around so please excuse any silly questions or clueless approaches! I need some advice about visas and work opportunities in my line of work and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips. Im a forty-four year old social worker(senior practitioner) in adult mental health. I have 15 years worth of experience working accross many client groups and areas of service and am also an AMHP (to those in the know). I am looking to move to Adelaide in 2015/2016 to be with my partner who is British and lives there. I am really struggling to find anything out about work opportunities, what skills/qualifications are transferrable, australian social policy/mental health law or how services are delivered/by whom (especially in adult social care). Can anyone advise me? Many thanks. Natalie

Hi Natalie

If you put 'social work' into the search box, you should get a number of posts regarding social work in Australia. I had a very poor experience working there as have many many UK Social Workers but some have found it to be ok. Australia is a beautiful country to visit but in my view, not a nice place to practice Social Work. I would advise you to do your research thoroughly before making a decision.

Hi Magden

Many thanks for your reply. Can you briefly explain why you had a bad professional experience? I am struggling to find any publications on current social policy, particularly re adult mental health (or vulnerable adult safeguarding). I am not even sure if the 'role' of the social worker carries the same statutory functions in Australia (eg Mental Health Act assessments, court work/ tribunal work, assessment and care management etc etc). I would be interested to know to from your experience and knowledge, whether the role of the sw in australia mirrors that in the UK? Does it carry the same professional profile?

Many thanks, Natalie

Adult mental health is delivered in a similar way here. .only not as good and its the only reason I cant see myself staying in aus..as my job means alot to me.. you wont b recognized as an ahmp here but in qld there is an online course you can do to have that role again...I have done this. .their may be something similar in sa..good luck

Thats really useful info... thanks. Who carries out MHAAs then? Is it just doctors? And no vulnerable adult safeguarding?! thats alarming...is there any social policy/ legal framework around this? Obviously this exists in child protection... are the australians a bit behind the times in respect to adult safeguarding? Sorry to bombard you with questions. I just need to identify what skills and qualifications are transferrable and which arent. I know what you mean, my career means a great deal to me too Lorna... Im hoping that Australia will give me new challenges and experiences in SW (eg work with Aboriginal communities?).

Child safe guarding is no where near as robust as uk which often worries me...and they look at me bemused when I mention vulnerable adults.. and one manager even argued there was no need for such a policy as adults arent vulnerable! They are behind the times in every aspect! Ahmps can do mhaa to detain someone for periods of up to 72hrs but yes its all doctors really..but each state is different...im fed up trying to drag them into 21st century..just need to get on wth it..I moved from nsw and its a little better here in qld..not much though...aboriginal communites are very interesting but difficult to get wrk in that area unless you are experienced in those communities or of that background yourself as they have specific teams for that purpose...I need to go back to the uk as I cant wrk like this which is a shame as I love aus otherwise :( I realize now how amazing we are at mental health care in the uk. But go wth optimism (and patience!)..everyones experience is different..this is just mine...and aus is trying to move forward and they will one day..they hold uk clinicians in very high regard and often refer to the uk to follow when looking at making improvements..you will have a great life experience whatever happens :)

Archived