grandparents migrating info

Guest pommy

Our son and family have been in perth area for 18months, they would like us to go to live with them. As we are both pensioners can anyone give us some advice please,

I'm sure Gill (Gollywobbler) will reply to this, as she is helping her mum to get a visa to go out to join the other daughter in Perth. I'm a parent waiting to go and join kids out there, but not yet a grandparent and not quite a pensioner! Anyway, there are lots of us on this forum, which is very nice and friendly, so welcome. You will find all sorts of help and support, and there are also some migration agents who can offer professional advice, so I won't say any more but hello.

Nico

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gollywobbler

Oh Pommy

I am so sorry that nobody has given you some solid help before now.

I have been selfishly obsessed with shoving my mother's visa-application along to a conclusion and now feel a right rat for having not spotted you.

Is your son in Perth your only child?

Are you both in reasonably good health?

Would you be able to raise about £35-40,000 in sterling?

If the answer to all three questions is "yes" then please take a look at the options for Contributory Parent visas. They are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

For the minute, study the Contributory Parent 143 and 173 visas only, to avoid confusing yourselves.

It would be another 6 months or so before your son would be able to sponsor an application by you, but it takes that long to do all the research followed by all the form-filling anyway.

In the meantime, you would be able to make an extended visit to Oz if you wish. About that idea, please see here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way at all. You could post a reply or you could PM me if you prefer.

Also, if anything in the DIMA website looks Not Do-able to you, please do NOT give up. There is more than one way of skinning a cat, but the ideas above represent the simplest way. We can consider other ways of getting the pelt off a cat if we have to.... :wink:

Best wishes

Gill

Archived