Ping pong pommie doggie..... Advice please......

Hi bob,

I'm hoping you might be-able to advise me ( again )

Im not sure if you remember but my furbaby BUSTER flew to Australia in November 2012, we then moved back to the uk in July 2013, buster had a rabies vaccination (inactivated) and his parvo, distemper,parainfluenza,bordetella vaccination on 31/05/13 we have now decided to move back to Australia, can you tell me what I need to do? Or do I have to do everything from scratch again?

Thanking you in advance bob

Kind regards

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca

Is that Buster with the sore paws? How is he doing and you will be pleased that it is only 10 days quarantine now.

Basically, yes you do have to do everything from the beginning and the fact that he lived in Australia counts for little once he comes out of Australia.

Did he have a rabies blood sample at all? he needs that soon as that is the key bit which takes the time - he has to have that 180 days before he leaves UK. You can use the rabies vaccination he had in May 2013, but it is possible that the antibodies have dropped below the threshold as it was done so long ago.

If you are in a rush to get back, then take him to the vets and get a rabies blood sample and rabies vaccination done on the same day. The you have pre-empted things if he fails the blood test. If you are not in a rush then get a rabies vaccination done and then 3-4 weeks after get the rabies blood sample done and then wait for the 6 months.

If it is any consolation, there are a fair few pets who go, come back and then go again. And the new 10 day rule is a great help to the pets.

Let me know if you need anything else

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thankyou for your reply, and yes it's Buster with the sore paws, he's doing good, getting on a bit now, he will be 12 next month which is a worry with the flight, but I'm sure he will be fine, I know how good petair are with making buster as comfortable as possible beforehand.

I just wanted to clarify something with you, if I were to get the blood test done now when is the latest buster can fly? Or does he have to fly exactly 180 days after, I was thinking of getting it done now but possibly might not fly until nov/dec is that possible?

Kind regards

Rebecca

Rebecca

Great news. The blood sample needs to be done at least 180 days before the flight and not more than 24 months, so get it done soon. You would be best to get a new rabies vaccination and then in 3-4 weeks get a new rabies blood sample and then we can swing into action.

The pre travel preparation now involves 3 vet visits, rather than 2 last time.

All looking good.

Bob

• 5 months later...

We arrived back to the Uk in October 10 20013.Have decided to return to Aus with our 2 mini foxes.But just found out,We have to go through the whole thing again.as our dogs didn't have a Rabies blood test when they left Aus.they said it wasn't needed,It's a whole NEW RULES thing trying to get them back to Aus.Apparently the Aussie government don't want Dogs and cats into Aus at all,and are making it very difficult and costly for those that want to bring their pets in.$1800 each dog for 10 days Quarrantine.Then a pass port.and whole bunch of other costs for blood tests ect.Then of course the Flight cost.It's just a crab for Cash.A total rip off.

• 1 month later...
We arrived back to the Uk in October 10 20013.Have decided to return to Aus with our 2 mini foxes.But just found out,We have to go through the whole thing again.as our dogs didn't have a Rabies blood test when they left Aus.they said it wasn't needed,It's a whole NEW RULES thing trying to get them back to Aus.Apparently the Aussie government don't want Dogs and cats into Aus at all,and are making it very difficult and costly for those that want to bring their pets in.$1800 each dog for 10 days Quarrantine.Then a pass port.and whole bunch of other costs for blood tests ect.Then of course the Flight cost.It's just a crab for Cash.A total rip off.

I think it's more to do with keeping Australia rabies free rather than a grab for cash.

I think it's more to do with keeping Australia rabies free rather than a grab for cash.

Yes, that must be why they have shortened the quarantine stay to 10 days instead of the old 30 days and hiked up the fees from A$23/day to AS149/day... "Keeping Australia rabies free" Ridiculous.... :skeptical:

Archived