New confusing announcement on SkillSelect

dream208

Does anyone understand the new anouncement on the SkillSelect site, i copied the announcement below:

Announcement

In late 2013, the department conducted an evaluation of occupational ceilings to assess how they have operated to date and to consider changes to ensure they are performing their intended function.

Based on feedback received as part of the evaluation, the following changes will be in place from 1 March 2014:

• State and territory nominated visas will no longer be subject to occupational ceiling limitations
  • The minimum ceiling for each occupational group will be 1000 invitations.

As there are still high levels of interest from prospective skilled migrants in the following six occupations, pro rata arrangements for these occupational groups will continue:

• Chemical and Materials Engineers
  • Electronics Engineers
  • Other Engineering Professionals
  • ICT Business and Systems Analysts
  • Software and Applications Programmers
  • Telecommunications Engineering Professionals.

Details of the cut-offs for these occupations will continue to be included in the regular invitation round reports.

What do they mean that the minimum ceiling will be 1000 invitation, does that mean that they'll change the existing ceilings for the occupations to be 1000 per occupation or what?

Also what about the limit on the regional sponsored (class 489) which was 35 per invitation round then decreased to 25 per round, is this limit cancelled now and the number of invitation is open again or what?

Please comment if you have any info or even a speculation of what the update may mean.

Does anyone understand the new anouncement on the SkillSelect site, i copied the announcement below:

Announcement

In late 2013, the department conducted an evaluation of occupational ceilings to assess how they have operated to date and to consider changes to ensure they are performing their intended function.

Based on feedback received as part of the evaluation, the following changes will be in place from 1 March 2014:

• State and territory nominated visas will no longer be subject to occupational ceiling limitations

• The minimum ceiling for each occupational group will be 1000 invitations.

As there are still high levels of interest from prospective skilled migrants in the following six occupations, pro rata arrangements for these occupational groups will continue:

• Chemical and Materials Engineers

• Electronics Engineers

• Other Engineering Professionals

• ICT Business and Systems Analysts

• Software and Applications Programmers

• Telecommunications Engineering Professionals.

Details of the cut-offs for these occupations will continue to be included in the regular invitation round reports.

What do they mean that the minimum ceiling will be 1000 invitation, does that mean that they'll change the existing ceilings for the occupations to be 1000 per occupation or what

If the existing ceiling is less than 1000 then it will be changed to at least 1000. This is good news for some.

Also what about the limit on the regional sponsored (class 489) which was 35 per invitation round then decreased to 25 per round, is this limit cancelled now and the number of invitation is open again or what?

I am not too sure about this, as there will no longer be a ceiling there may be no limit to the amount of invitations but i suspect there will still be a cap.

Please comment if you have any info or even a speculation of what the update may mean.

Hi,

I submitted an EOI on 24/2/14 for 2339 skill which had a ceiling of 300 places this year, 267 of which are already taken. Does this announcment mean that as of 1st March the number of places rises to 1000?

Any idea whether this would be backdated to EOI's submitted before this announcement?

Ross

Hi Rossco,

As far as subclass 489 is concerned, it is regional provisional (family sponsored). It will remain at 25 places for each invitation round as reflected in the tentative schedule for March...:( whereas for subclass 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) (State or territory nominated), the invitations will be independent of occupation ceilings (Correct me if im wrong)

Why does not DIBP encurage family sponsored immigration!!!!!!

Hi,

I submitted an EOI on 24/2/14 for 2339 skill which had a ceiling of 300 places this year, 267 of which are already taken. Does this announcment mean that as of 1st March the number of places rises to 1000?

Any idea whether this would be backdated to EOI's submitted before this announcement?

Ross

I don't think it means that for the 6 occupations that they are receiving a high volume of EOI's, ANZCO 2339 other engineering professionals being one of them..

I checked on the skillselect website and the occupation ceiling still remains the same.

I applied under the same code as you- 2339. From the last round I see the cut off was 75 points. Glad I applied when I did cause only 60 points was enough for an invite.

Fingers crossed you get an invite really soon!

Hi Stevie,

I have 75 pts so i should only have to wait a couple of draws but if the ceiling goes up to 1000 then it should be a lot quicker. I've read the statement a number of times and still cant fathom whether it means that the 6 occupations listed will have their ceilings raised or not! Typical governmental unclear statement!

Hi Stevie,

I have 75 pts so i should only have to wait a couple of draws but if the ceiling goes up to 1000 then it should be a lot quicker. I've read the statement a number of times and still cant fathom whether it means that the 6 occupations listed will have their ceilings raised or not! Typical governmental unclear statement!

Yeah it is really unclear! I think that they won't be increasing those 6 occupations (unfortunately) seeing that they have received so many EOI's for those particular codes and have put the invite points up so high too! Hope I am wrong though.

The main thing is at least you have the 75 points. I guess a lot of people won't be able to receive an invite because of this...

So for you, it just looks like a waiting game (but I know from experience how much of a bummer that is!)

Good luck!

It doesnt appear to make any sense raising ceilings for skills which are nowhere near their ceilings yet keeping ones which are filling up at the same number?!? For instance Child Care Centre Managers has a ceiling of 600 with only 8 granted to date - why increase this to 1000?!?!?

AW that's made me a bit emosh, I was pretty sure Business Analyst was gonna drop off come July before I could get an application in, that basically says i'm in with a shot still - wheeeee :biggrin:

Sorry to be pessimistic but that could still happen

Londongal76 I am in the same boat as you as I am under 2339. I got my hopes up but when you look at the occupational ceilings report it appears to say that the ceilings for the 6 'starred' occupations will not increase. :mad:

Ok but even if the ceilings don't increase it says pretty much that they're staying on the list right? Or is it so confusing that i'm reading it wrong?

Ok but even if the ceilings don't increase it says pretty much that they're staying on the list right? Or is it so confusing that i'm reading it wrong?

Hi Londongal

Well those occupations are currently on the list which is great but some occupations have been highlighted that could potentially come off the sol at some stage. IF and when they will come off is anyone's guess though. No occupation is guaranteed to stay on the list unfortunately

It doesnt appear to make any sense raising ceilings for skills which are nowhere near their ceilings yet keeping ones which are filling up at the same number?!? For instance Child Care Centre Managers has a ceiling of 600 with only 8 granted to date - why increase this to 1000?!?!?

I know mate. In my eyes a lot of things that immigration says doesnt make sense. There is all this talk about Australia needing people with skills but yet at the same time, put loads of hurdles in the way making the visa process very complex and difficult at times.

aww i got my hopes up then :(

Is it not at all possible to apply before July? It might be worth paying for a migration agent to help you get it done quickly?

Is it not at all possible to apply before July? It might be worth paying for a migration agent to help you get it done quickly?

I've got an agent on it, but when i started 4 weeks ago, they'd handed out 1320 of the 1380 invites for the year. considering i still have to do skills assessment and IELTS I doubt there'll be any left by that point.

I've got an agent on it, but when i started 4 weeks ago, they'd handed out 1320 of the 1380 invites for the year. considering i still have to do skills assessment and IELTS I doubt there'll be any left by that point.

Ah okay so it isn't a case of just having the application submitted....it has all changed since we did ours in 2008.

Hi ive seen on another forum that an applicant for one of the 6 skills flagged up has asked their agent & their agents interpretation is that the ceiling for the 6 occupations will also increase to 1000. As with anything i think its open to personal interpretation but i guess we will find out on Monday?

Archived