Wollongong high schools: progressive thinking?

sijax

Hi all,

We're planning a potential move from the UK into the area, and have two girls of 12 and 16. We're interested in high schools we could get to from Thirroul. I'm seeing Keira, Bulli and Corrimal High Schools showing up local to Thirroul, and then there's the Performing Arts High School in Wollongong, which might appeal to our dancers.

One of the things we're interested in is whether schools are using innovative new ways to teach, eg through project-based learning, use of technology, etc.

What's the vibe out there?

Thanks!

Simon & Jackie

I've no idea, but I assume NSW education is on a par with the UK? A slide rule for every student? Judging by the backpacks the kids trudge around with, they would get jobs as Sherpas, no worries.

[h=3]NSW Public Schools Home Page[/h]www.schools.nsw.edu.au/‎

Information on public schooling from the NSW Department of Education and Training. Includes information on finding a school, enrollments, and important dates ...

From Thirroul Bulli High is the closest followed by Woonona and Corrimal High Schools.

Keira is in North Wollongong and is located next to the Performing Arts High School (which your children would need to audition to get into as well as being able to perform academically).

Smiths Hill High isn't on your list but it is by far the best academically these days (or was the last time I heard). It is located in Wollongong itself but not much further than Keira and the Performing Arts School.

You may not have a choice though. Schools aren't required to take children out of their catchment area if they don't want to. You will have to apply.

I grew up in Thirroul and went to a selective High School in Wollongong (the one that is now the Performing Arts High School). It used to take around an hour on the bus or 30 mins if mum/dad drove me.

There are few private high schools as well but not many. A couple of catholic, a Christian one (sorry I can't remember the name) and the Grammer (It used to be called SCEGS) - was expensive and didn't perform that well but I'm not sure what it's like now.

You have picked a nice place to live. Hope you will be happy there.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Freckleface - helpful to have your local view. I'm hearing a lot about how pleasant Thirroul and Austinmer are, and reading a lot on this site about the Gong being rather run down (or is that all out of date now?). I'm trying to get a sense for Bulli High School - must have the worst website of them all, but that may be misleading!...

Archived