Driving requirements in NSW

slider

Morning/evening all. just a little question on driving in NSW & insurance, how does it work exactly? I have been here 2 weeks now & the rental is due to go back so we want to buy a car, we have seen one that has Rego on it till april 2014(does this mean, I believe that means it has a current pink slip ie Mot & road tax till then & does it mean it has 3rd party insurance on the car??) If so & the car does have some type on insurance on it are we still required by law to buy separate insurance?

Cheers in advance for the help.

Steve

I think you need to change your licence after three months. I don't think its compolsary to have insurance if the car has rego but would be pretty stupid not to. Some states you have to have a road worthy done when the car is sold (Vic,) others are each year NSW. SA none at all.

My vague understanding is that the insurance sold with the rego covers you for nothing, it refers to money which goes into a fund for victims of road accidents to pay for their lifetime care. You don't have to buy separate insurance, but you'd be silly not to. You'd have to pay out of pocket for any accidents etc... Pink slips are only needed if the car is I think more than ten years old in nsw.

happy to be corrected on any of this, but this was what I was told in Syd.

If you have PR you need to change your licence within three months. If you are on a temporary visa (e.g a 457) then you can change it, but have to renew every year.

CTP (green slip) is basic third party insurance that covers injuries to other people in an accident (and limited cover if you are at fault). To cover damage to other peoples' property or to yourself or your car you need additional insurance. You must have a green slip to register a vehicle. I don't think it is transferable so you will need to buy a policy before you can transfer the rego.

Rego is essentially like road tax, it is registered a car and is transferrable. You can't get rego unless you CTP (Compulsory Thrid Party) insurance. The CTP is also registered to the car and is transferrable.

When buying a car (especially used car) try and get these included in the price. Don't forget, you also have to include stamp duty on any car you purchase regardless of its age.

Archived