Why can't you speak to someone in person anymore !!!!

milo 52

I need some information about getting a skilled visa, so gave immigration office a ring 2 hours later still on hold. So I thought I pop down there today went it said could I speak to a person I need some info on a 189 visa, he said yes went up stair same again back on a phone for half hour on hold got know where..

NEED HELP !!!

Is it only me or is anyone else the same, I like to speak to someone face to face and not over a bloody phone..

My Questions I wanted to ask :

1) Can I get a 189 visa if still on my WHV visa.

2) Rough price

3) How long does it take to get one.

4) Can I only work for plumbing company's on this as my skill is a plumber.

5) can I move from state to state with this.

If anyone knows anyone who I can speak to in person or on the phone and not on hold for 2 hours. I would be grateful.

P.S I have been on immigration website and it just looks like a load of letters and numbers to me :)

Thanks milo

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Milo I will move your post to migration and hopefully someone on here can help rather than you b stuck in a phone queue lol.

Answers in red below:

I need some information about getting a skilled visa, so gave immigration office a ring 2 hours later still on hold. So I thought I pop down there today went it said could I speak to a person I need some info on a 189 visa, he said yes went up stair same again back on a phone for half hour on hold got know where..

NEED HELP !!!

Is it only me or is anyone else the same, I like to speak to someone face to face and not over a bloody phone..

My Questions I wanted to ask :

1) Can I get a 189 visa if still on my WHV visa.

If you meet the requirements for a 189 and have received an invitation, you can apply for a 189 while you're in Australia on a 417.

2) Rough price

Visa Application Charge is $3520 plus the cost of skills assessment (about $2750), medicals and PCCs. If you're licensed to work as a plumber in Australia, it's possible that you may already have an acceptable skills assessment.

3) How long does it take to get one.

The actual visa will only take a couple of months (probably less) after you apply but you can't apply until you've submitted an EOI and received an invitation to apply for the visa. You'll need skills assessment and (probably IELTS) before you can submit an EOI (and there's no way of knowing how long they will take). After submitting an EOI, it will take between a couple of weeks and a month or so depending on how many points you have. All up, maybe 6 months??

Once you've applied for a 189 (not simply submitted an EOI), you will get a Bridging visa that will take effect if your WHV expires before a decision is reached on your 189 application. The BV allows you to stay in Australia with the same work rights as your WHV until a decision is reached.

4) Can I only work for plumbing company's on this as my skill is a plumber.

On a 189 you can work in any job in any location for any employer - no restrictions at all.

5) can I move from state to state with this.

No location restrictions.

If anyone knows anyone who I can speak to in person or on the phone and not on hold for 2 hours. I would be grateful.

P.S I have been on immigration website and it just looks like a load of letters and numbers to me :)

Thanks milo

And, you're wasting your time ringing DIBP for that type of query. They won;t give you the kind of info you're looking for and what info they give you, may not be accurate. The people who answer the phones are not experts.

If the immi site all looks like a load of letters and numbers, you probably should be consulting a good agent.

All the information is available on the DIBP website (although they simply provide their service guidelines as far as time to get the visa). If you find it confusing, then you should use an agent as doing it yourself will require you to have a good understanding of the requirements, how your qualifications may meet the requirements, the process, etc.

Guest littlesarah

To answer the question that is the title of this thread: because it would take a lot of time to answer the questions of every wannabe migrant - especially those who are after information that is specific to them. So, DIBP put information on their website instead, thereby eliminating the need to employ call centre staff to answer queries.

Under the Code of Conduct, registered migration agents must have a telephone number where they can be contacted.

Why not try contacting an agent?

I do not often answer my telephones, unless I recognise the caller's number, but the answering service does.

If I took all the calls, I would do little else.

I usually filter the garbage and return sensible calls.

Archived